Yeti GOBOX Collection

Boots for Elk Hunting?

I am on my second brand of boot now. It is hard living so far from any dealers that have mountain boots in stock to just try on a bunch and decide.

My first was the Crispi Guide GTX. At first I thought they fit really well but after 30 miles or so worth of 4 or 5 mile hikes. I started getting pain in the instep and top of my right foot. I plan on selling those boots when I get time. They seem like high quality boots, they just don't fit my foot well.

Now I have Meindl Comfort Fit Hunters. I have them on as I type. I think they are going to be just fine once I get them broken in.

I plan on trying Kenetrek next.

I have a pair of Altra trail runners that fit like a dream. If they ever make a more robust mountain boot I will jump al lover that.

RUCK BOOTS! Any one of the hundreds available from the dozens of manufacturers should do you. I like Garmont. But Danner is a close second.

3A8F33BF-4B4D-419E-B2DD-CF2091AEEF8A.jpeg
This beautiful bastard is the Garmont T8 Bifida. Does it have insulation? No, wear wool socks. Is it lightweight? Nope, this is made for severe abuse. How about break in period? Takes awhile because this thing is rugged. But you know what, no kidding, I’ve taken mine over rough scree fields and up into snow. Great ankle coverage when packing a load. It’s made for people who have day jobs in Afghanistan and such. Owned these now going on three years.

Alright y'all. Due to a surprise surplus of funds it looks like I'll be ordering boots this year rather then next. So, final decision comes down to Kenetrek mountain extreme or Schnees beartooth classics? Both will be uninsulated.
Whichever one fits better.

Boots are a funny thing. I pretty much need to wear uninsulated boots unless the temps get below 0. My feet just sweat too much. This year I am trying something new and wearing uninsulated boots while walking and changing into 40 Below Booties once I get to glassing locations. If it is really wet I will wear some lightweat overboots. I will also be taking off my sweaty socks.

I was just successful in archery here in new mexico using the Under Armor HOVRs, theyre great if youre looking to be lightweight and quiet.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back