Boots for Elk Hunting?

RugerHawg413

I am going elk hunting later this year out west, and I need some good boots for walking that are comfortable and waterproof. Also, they probably need to be 700 to 1,000 thinsulate. Thanks for all the info!

Lots of good boots out there so I’m sure you’ll get a lot of opinions. I wear Salomon 4d gtx for warm weather hunting and danner pronghorn has multiple choices in thinsulate levels for later season.

I think boots; like rifle brands, trucks, optics, etc, are all more or less the same when you shop at a certain price point. It comes down to which make tickles your inner pickle.

Personally, I'm a Lowa guy and run four different sets of Lowas for different applications. For late fall/early winter, I run Lowa Tibet GTX's, awesome boots.

You might not need that much insulation unless you are planning to be sitting all the time or know you'll be in really extreme cold. I have 400 gram boots and hunted in -20 temps, 2 socks and never got close to cold. I second SaskHunter, the more you can try on, the better, but it's hard to tell until you really get them out on uneven ground and put some hard miles on them before the problem areas start to show. Granted there will be some break in time, but they should feel really good when you put them on the first time. I'm currently using Schnee's for a lighter everyday boot, and Kenetrek mountain extreme 400 for a heavy boot. I got the Kenetreks used for under $200 since I had heard some love them and some hate them and didn't want to risk ~$500 testing them out. I am very happy with both boots. If you're not turned off buying used boots, it's a great way to try out different brands without all the cost, as you can usually get most or all your money back on high quality brands.

I use to wear the Danner pronghorns elk hunting during early, mid and late season and never had any complaints other than they didn't last more than a couple few years. My feet stayed plenty warm with the 200g thinsulate option. It sounds like the newer models of pronghorns may have changed though, so not sure about them anymore. I have crispis now. So far so good.

Whatever you end up buying, start wearing them immediately to break them in. It sucks hunting in boots that give you blisters.

Kenetreks!! I finally broke down and bought a pair of mountain extremes. It was well worth the money. I don't regret spending that money. Have wore them on my elk hunt, my dad's desert bighorn hunt, bear hunt and my mule deer hunt this last fall and winter and a few other small hunting and hiking trips. The durability is amazing!!!! Best money I've spent on hunting yet.

Kenetreks!! I finally broke down and bought a pair of mountain extremes. It was well worth the money. I don't regret spending that money. Have wore them on my elk hunt, my dad's desert bighorn hunt, bear hunt and my mule deer hunt this last fall and winter and a few other small hunting and hiking trips. The durability is amazing!!!! Best money I've spent on hunting yet.
Kenetreks x 2! Mt Extreme 400 gr Thinsulate keep feet warm to 15-20 degrees. If you are moving/walking no worries in keeping feet warm all day.

That seems like too much insulation for elk hunting where long hikes will get your feet sweated up and cause them to freeze when you stop. My feet probably sweat worse than the average person, but I hunt through the winter with uninsulated boots. I just adjust to thicker socks as the weather gets colder. YMMV

Everyone’s feet are a little different, but mine like crispis better than the kenetrek and zamberlan I’ve had before.

I concur with the others on the amount of thinsulate. Even if you're sitting still, your feet could sweat a lot on the way to where you're going to sit and then freeze when you get there. As with everything, it's entirely up to you.

Unless you're sitting around I would lead you away from that much insulation...your feet will get sweaty then cold.

Do a search up in the right side of the forum. There must be 200 threads. My personal preference is a higher end boot (Kennetrek, Lowa, Meindl, Hoffman, Crisipi) and to stay away from Danner, UnderArmor, LaCrosse, etc.

Schnees offer a lot of great boots for all seasons and all types of hunting. I've tried Lowa, Danner, Kenetrek, and Schnees and Schnees outperform everything. The soles are very supportive yet you can really feel the ground underneath your feet, so in rocky/rough terrain, you can make like a billy goat. I was very disappointed in the Kenetreks I used because they were so stiff it was difficult to feel the footing well enough. I'm a Schnees' girl for life now. I have 2 pairs of the Beartooths and my older pair I've had for 5 years, with heavy use during hunting season and rough hiking year-round and they're still going strong. I also have the Pac boot for cold winter days and they're the only thing that keeps my toes warm (and I tend to get VERY cold feet--no pun intended).

I am going elk hunting later this year out west, and I need some good boots for walking that are comfortable and waterproof. Also, they probably need to be 700 to 1,000 thinsulate. Thanks for all the info!
I like to support MT businesses, so I went with schnees out of Bozeman. I've been to the store a hundred times and I've heard Rinella talk about them. The lifetime rebuild guarantee is what got me through the door.

Behind my gun, they (Beartooth II) are the most expensive part of my kit, but they sure are nice. I went with a 700 thinsulate so I could use them when its a little warmer out. Feels like walking on clouds, even after a full day. I got them towards the end of the season so they only have about 60 miles on them, but they show no signs of wear.

I love my kenetreks, was gonna go with a cheaper brand, but a wise old man once told me never skimp on boots, or mattresses. Most of your like you are either on your feet, or on your back sleeping!

Seasons define the shoes for myself.

Archery = light boot. Quieter than my rifle, colder thumpers with insulation.

I agree on seasonal n dictates boots. I have taken a few guys elk hunting from back east and they show up with heavy technical hiking boots and noisy gaiters. They look the guys on the Alaskan hunting shows.

I really like Merrell. I have an uninsulated non-waterproof pair for dry days and a Gore-Tex pair for the rain. I move a lot when elk hunting (archery and some muzzleloader) and the thought of a big heavy boot and insulation makes me cringe.

I were the same boots well into Oct and Nov with no issues.

have a great hunt.

If the op needs a 1000 gram boot, the Irish Setter Elk Tracker is under rated. I've used them for years. Not the support of a good mountain boot, but work when laced up tight. My Mountain Extremes get the nod mostly, but if temps are frigid, I still wear the Setters. mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back