MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Boots and Blisters

KayakMacGyver

I bought my first pair of mountain boots back in April from a really great boot company out of Bozeman. Living in Florida, I don't have a luxury to try mountain boots on before I buy so I did everything I could to ensure a good fit (professionally measured, talked to the company to verify sizing was true, etc). The boots fit great walking around the house and fit as comfortably as I expected they should upon arrival. However, wearing the boots throughout Turkey season I learned of a couple hot spots developing on my heels. The hot spots tend to develop when walking up any incline or when I'm toting some weight and leaning forward slightly (how I would expect hot spots to instigate, I suppose).

Over the summer I've experimented with different lacing techniques and have had some success with my left foot being less susceptible to heel blisters, but the right foot gets it real bad no matter what lacing I try. Lacking any real incline, I integrate 5 miles twice a week on a 15% grade treadmill to "simulate" my planned September elk hunting environment the best I can. With the grade, my heel gets chewed to shreds.

Overall, the boots fit really well with just the right amount of room in the toe box, not too tight on the sides, etc. As I got to thinking about it, I've never really had a pair of boots that didn't tear up my heels to some extent when putting them to heavy use. Any incline or carry seems to instigate blisters...my swamp boots and snake boots are particularly notorious for this. In fact, part of my morning ritual during hunting season is the application of blister tape to my heels along with a liner sock.

I think I'm chalking this one up to my foot shape. I have a really "sharp" heel configuration and it's pretty clear to me why I have this issue. Does anyone else have this kind of problem? If so, have you found a remedy?

With all of the preparation I'm putting into my 8 day solo DIY backpack trip, my biggest fear is having torn up feet hold me back. This morning I bought some Armaskin anti-blister socks that I'm going to give a try. https://www.amazon.com/ArmaSkin-Extreme-Anti-Blister-Hiking-Medium/dp/B01M6CM5ZY/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1530635819&sr=1-6&keywords=Blister+Socks . If these don't work, I'll likely go back to my tried and true blister tape and just deal with the hassel of installing it on my heels every morning and throughout the day as needed. Unless someone else has a great recommendation? I'll be sure to post a first hand review of the new liners I just bought.

When I have fought blisters (a rare event), I have found that two thin pairs of socks (preferably wool) beat anything and everything, but like many remedies work best if you START with them rather than wait until you have a problem.

I am blessed with pretty normal feet and don't have problems often, fortunately.

I am in your same boat. I tried several different brands and types of so called mountain style boots. I finally came to the conclusion that none of them offer the flexibility my feet require to remain blister free. I wear lower cut more athletic style boots like those from Salomon, some of the more hiking style boots from Lowa and Zamberlain also work. I have really grown to love the Speedcross series of shoes from Salomon. They don't offer the rigidity, support, and toughness of a mountain boot but I have found I can go for miles in a pair of Speedcross shoes and Gators and be blister free. Ankle support and boot stiffness take a back seat to blisters which can be a trip ender. It's a curse, I wish I could wear the mountain style boots but I just cant. Don't be afraid to try low cut boots or shoes and Gators if they help you get out there.

Blisters happen. Especially for folks like me who spend more time at a desk than on a trail and who was blessed by DNA with one foot smaller than the other. Pay attention to your feet and treat those hot spots early. Put moleskin on them before they blister. Experiment with socks and inserts. Keep wearing the boots to continue to break them in. Good luck.

I put a duct tape on the back of both my heels, never had a blister or hot spot after that. Cover the whole heel with one piece.

Like many have said if you start to fell a hot spot, immediately take off your boots and put something on the hot spot. Whether that is mole skin or duck tape. I've found that if I eventually put enough miles on a boot then I will no longer have hot spots. I'm not saying it works for everybody, but it has worked for me. I'm still trying to find the "right boot", that is stiff, waterproof, and fits my feet. I've tried Danner's, Vasque, Lowa's, and Salomon. I have a pair of Salewa's on the way as well. At this point I feel like I should just chalk up the money for a pair made by Lathrop and Sons.

Poly liner sock under a good wool sock works for me. If I really need to up the prevent defense, I also suggest using duct tape. I put it on at the beginning of a trip and will leave it there for the duration.

Duct tape sounds like a great tip that I'm going to add to the arsenal. Easy, cheap and probably sticks alot better than the super thick tape I've been using.

Duct tape doesn't stick very well, use 3/4" wide black gorilla tape or Leuko tape. A 2" long strip down the back of the heel will allow movement with no friction or heat. A few days of that and you should be good to go.

Leukotape is my go to tape for heel hot spots. Will stick for 3-4 days even if you get wet. Flexible conforming to you shape. Also, suggest you find a good shoe shop that specializes in fitting. The heel cup can be shaped to better fit.

Double wool socks and mole skin have always worked for me. It sounds like this happens for you with almost any boot so the suggestion to look into fitting is a good one. Sometimes it's a matter of raising or lowering your heel in the boot. That is something you can play with on your own if you so desire. One note on the wool socks.....a lot of modern day wool socks have a large proportion of nylon in them for stretch and durability. I find that those are harder on my feet that ones that are more wool. I have a couple of pair of old skool ragwool socks around and despite the itch factor they are better hiking socks.

Leukotape.

It belongs in every outdoorsman’s pack.

But it should be for a contingency not a necessity. If your boots are bothering you that much on a treadmill, you should consider changing them.

My guess is your boot doesn’t fit as well as you think. Most heel blisters result from heel slip. It happens to everyone eventually but not usually in 5 miles. Try different lacing techniques to try to lock your heel in without crushing your arch or decreasing ankle movement.

Something else you can’t simulate easily on the treadmill is decline hiking. I’d be curious to know if your toes would be smooshed by hours of downhill hiking. It’s worth trying to figure that out too, before your valuable hunt time.

Best of luck to you!

Leukotape, liner socks, contact those Montana boot guys, and your problems will be resolved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back