Boot recommendation

Knot Tellin

I'm going to Colorado for elk in September from the 7th - 17th. I am looking at getting a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I was wondering if I should go with a non insulated pair. I will be hunting around 9000'.

I went with the Hardscrabbles for early season use. Only have about 100 miles in them so far but absolutely love them. No problems with break in and they're easily the most comforatble boot I've ever owned.

I couldn't stand to wear insulated boots in September. I usually stick with the uninsulateds until late October or early November.

Of you go with the kenetreks, you better get them soon and start breaking them in. Some say 30 miles before they are broken in, some say they don't need break in.
Check out Lowa Tibet or even Asolo boots on Sierra trading post. I'm wearing asolo boots this September unless it is really cold or there is snow.

For those dates my personal preference would be the Kenetrek hardscrabble or mountain extreme non-insulated. My hardscrabbles are my go to throughout the summer and most all of archery season here in Montana. I have worn the M.E. non-insulated boots for fairly active climbing/hiking late into rifle season in the snow and cold. Good luck on your hunt!

I personally wear my 400 gram kenetreks in any weather! They are warm but I don't really notice. But in all seriousness I would recommend the mountain extremes because they go higher on the ankle for more support (I also have a bad ankle). It's hard to beat the Kenetrek quality and boot in general

I'd look at crispi boots. I have kennetreks and I haven't been impressed. Crispi makes a boot called the Wyoming that is a great early season boot.

Of you go with the kenetreks, you better get them soon and start breaking them in. Some say 30 miles before they are broken in, some say they don't need break in.
Check out Lowa Tibet or even Asolo boots on Sierra trading post. I'm wearing asolo boots this September unless it is really cold or there is snow.

i think kenetreks web site even says 50 miles on flat ground in "normal" brake in.

im a fan of lowa they have become my shoe, hunting boot and ice climbing boot.

Ditto! Fit and comfort!
I love the fit of the Lowas and the comfort.
So they might be a little warm in early Oct.,but my feet will not be worn out,wet and bruised,like they did in tennis shoe type boots.I've tried and regretted buying. Or when weather gets bad fast.

I do have Kenetrek Grizzly packboots for winter weather & Cabellas Stalking Sneakers for early hot.

I personally wear my 400 gram kenetreks in any weather! They are warm but I don't really notice. But in all seriousness I would recommend the mountain extremes because they go higher on the ankle for more support (I also have a bad ankle).
I agree, as I have hiked many mountain miles in hunting boots, but have experienced no better ankle support and sidehill hiking comfort than with the Kenetrek Extremes. I wear them beginning in the warmer fall weather throughout the colder snowy months and have found them to be the best hunting boot I have owned. From the get-go they were comfortable.

Back