Caribou Gear

Boot question?

SFC B

Does anybody have any experience with Hanwag boots? I have been shopping around for good mountain boots but am slow to pull the trigger based on the investment. I have a way to get a good discount (promotive if any of you have it) on Kayland, Vasque, Zamberlan and Hanwag boots. The Hanwag Alaska GTXs look like they might fit the bill but the closest place I can find to try them on is in Boulder.....wonder if it is worth the drive to see. Please let me know what experiences with any of the above.

I wear a pair of Alaska GTX and love them, I tried on Kenetrek, Crispi, Schnee's, Lowa, and Zamberlan. The Hanwag's felt the best on my feet. I would say the kenetreks are a little better in support of the ankle but I haven't had a single problem with my Alaskans and I'd rather have a boot that fits a little better than have to deal with blisters.

I looked into them also, because of the Promotive discount. Sounds like they are VERY solid boots. Check with Lowa, odds are good you'll qualify for a discount directly through them.

I tried twice to get with Lowa for the discount and couldn't get anyone to answer or return my calls. Like the Hanwags, I can't find anywhere remotely close to try on the models I am interested in (REI carries Lowa but not big boots in stock).

I looked into them also, because of the Promotive discount. Sounds like they are VERY solid boots. Check with Lowa, odds are good you'll qualify for a discount directly through them.

I have worn the Hanwag Alaska for several years. They really fit my foot well. My favorite.They make a wide model also.

I used to wear the Lowa boot too. It was good also.

I've worn Kenetrek hardscrabble boot. Good boot.

If you can, I would find a place to try on the Hanwags.

I got a pair of the Zamberlan 960 Guide GTX and a pair of the 1012 VIOZ from promotive. I purchased the guides over the Hanwag alaska simple cause I already had the VIOZ and I liked them and really couldn't find either anywhere near me to try on. The guides are really stiff but very comfy. I put about 150 miles on them between backpacking and hunting last year and they are holding up great. They really shine with heavy packs in rough terrain. Wouldn't be my first choice for sneaking around bowhunting. The vioz have a bit of insulation and are great later season elk boots. They are wider and I need to wear thicker socks to avoid sliding inside the boot. They have been through 3 seasons of elk hunting and hiking/snowshoeing around here in the winter.

I had a pair of Hanwags but they we're Alaskans. They were decent boots. My preference is Lowa Tibets for that style of boot. If I want a little lighter and flexible I grab my Scarpa Kailash. If I want a little lighter (and quieter) than Scarpas I'll grab my Lowa Renegades. Everyone's feet are a little different. My favorite boot overall are the Scarpa Kailash.

I would call Lathrop and sons and get their opinion. He is a straight shooter and carries both Hanwag and Lowa. Everything I read was positive when looking at new boots. I went with the Lowa Tibets since I got them on sale for $250. No regrets, great boot.

SFC, just a heads up..there is a good pair of Alaskan GTX on Rokslide classifieds for $180

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back