Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Boot Design Flaws

AlaskaHunter

This seems like a design flaw to me...cloth eyelets..lasted less than a year.
Crispi_Thor_Boots.jpg

The second design flaw with this GTX boot is there is no full gortex bootie...
the gortex runs only 2 " high inside the boot.
There are two problems with that...feet get wet when over 2 inches of water,
and then a "bathtub effect" with a 2" puddle of water in the boot.
Better to either have no gortex so boot can dry quickly,
or a full gortex bootie.

I had same boots with same result, sole also delaminated... Also have their Idaho tall and they are holding up better so may just be that boot design not the mfr as a whole.

This seems like a design flaw to me...cloth eyelets..lasted less than a year.
View attachment 185354

The second design flaw with this GTX boot is there is no full gortex bootie...
the gortex runs only 2 " high inside the boot.
There are two problems with that...feet get wet when over 2 inches of water,
and then a "bathtub effect" with a 2" puddle of water in the boot.
Better to either have no gortex so boot can dry quickly,
or a full gortex bootie.
Brand?

As an avowed footwear nerd and recovering Product Development guy @ a brand you all know but not affiliated with @Big Fin, that particular place is a terrible spot to use a soft eyelet. That is a high stress/strain point and I've seen some meatheads pull double riveted steel pieces out, there.

My favorite piece of hardware for securing the lower lacing system has always been on the La Sportiva (Not who I worked for) Karakorum. You can pull like Hell to tighten up around the lower of the boot but when you move to lacing the upper hooks, the lace gets wedgeds between the post and D-ring securing the lower laces from slippage.

1623331106549.png

As an avowed footwear nerd and recovering Product Development guy @ a brand you all know but not affiliated with @Big Fin, that particular place is a terrible spot to use a soft eyelet. That is a high stress/strain point and I've seen some meatheads pull double riveted steel pieces out, there.

My favorite piece of hardware for securing the lower lacing system has always been on the La Sportiva (Not who I worked for) Karakorum. You can pull like Hell to tighten up around the lower of the boot but when you move to lacing the upper hooks, the lace gets wedgeds between the post and D-ring securing the lower laces from slippage.

View attachment 185461
Agreed I blew out an eyelet there on my beartooths the first time I put them on SMH… apparently I’m wicked strong :)

No complaints on my Beartooths after two seasons or Crispi Colorados after a lot of use this spring. I’m sure the Crispis won’t last as long as the Beartooth, but I wanted a lighter synthetic boot for warm weather. When the Beartooths wear out I’ll either go with the Schnee’s Granite or possibly the Scarpa Wrangell or Grand Dru.

Those La Sportivas look nice, the newer Schnee’s have a similar lower lace lock and I really like it.

The cloth/nylon eyelet is the worst thing ever put on a boot. Or any type of footwear. I have to search for a work/hiking boot for work that doesn't have the damn things. My hunting boots are easier. mtmuley

Danner......All three pairs i owned. Slow learner

Now i use kennetrek
I have Danner now, no cloth eyelets, they are pretty good.

Will never buy Danner again.

Saw them (at their Portland store) take advantage of a man for whom English was not his first language, refusing a reasonable warranty request (they voided his warranty because he didn't have socks on when he removed the boot). I watched the entire process, entranced by the absolute screwing they gave this gent. If I live long enough to wear out my Danners, I will certainly replace them with something else - even if Danner is made in the USA.

View attachment 185461
You ever test speed lacing systems, like the Boa type used on wading boots? One of my biggest frustrations is lacing my boots in the cold and dark every morning. Feel like there must be a better way.

I’ve never understood the cloth loops vs metal eyelets/hooks.
Right. They won't last a season upland hunting. Probably okay for hiking groomed trails. For a little while. Lace hooks are better but the old logger style will do a number on pants hem. I look for hooks with flattened design. D rings in triangle shape are okay if enough space over the tongue. They have to be riveted well or can pull loose (I look for two rivets per D). Or rivet digs into your foot on the inside. Sorel packs triangle Ds are sewn into leather holsters that stretch out of shape causing the Ds to rotate and cut into the holsters. Eventually they cut through. Very dumb! Those boots are crap for many reasons.

Thanks for the warning re GTX. Goretex has never been a big selling point for me. I can never get a pair of Goretex boots to stay waterproof more than one season no matter who makes them.

Good old fashioned eyelet through the leather is still hard to beat ... and harder to find. Yeah, they can be a pain in the arse to lace up and tighten, but they never fail.

Last edited:
You ever test speed lacing systems, like the Boa type used on wading boots? One of my biggest frustrations is lacing my boots in the cold and dark every morning. Feel like there must be a better way.
The speed lacing hooks on my wading boots are hard on the laces. They don't last long.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back