Caribou Gear Tarp

Boot Design Flaws

No complaints on my Beartooths after two seasons or Crispi Colorados after a lot of use this spring. I’m sure the Crispis won’t last as long as the Beartooth, but I wanted a lighter synthetic boot for warm weather. When the Beartooths wear out I’ll either go with the Schnee’s Granite or possibly the Scarpa Wrangell or Grand Dru.

Those La Sportivas look nice, the newer Schnee’s have a similar lower lace lock and I really like it.
If the you like the Beartooths, and they fit you well, Check out the timberlines. I was in the same situation as you having one of there heavier boots but wanting something lighter with no insulation. Picked up a pair of these and they fit the bill nicely,

Thinking more about the reverse. Putting the speed lacing system on Kenetreks for example.
My Limmers have all hooks and they're wicked fast and easy, as well as strong. You just need to use high-quality laces.

The other think I love about the design on Limmers is that the outer and inner leather of the boots have only one seam, and it's just above the arch of the foot, in the one place where you never really put any stress, or bend the leather. My Limmers are more than 20 years old and are on their third set of soles.

Putting seams on the heel, or where your foot bends is just asking them to fail, IMO.

My Limmers have all hooks and they're wicked fast and easy, as well as strong. You just need to use high-quality laces.
Maybe it is just me. I feel like I’m wrestling my boots every morning. That is probably because I’m cold, have bulky clothes on and the back is stiff.
try lacing your boots with your eyes closed. That is basically me every morning.

My father keeps buying me Danner boots for my birthday. His originals have lasted him a decade and thinks I must be doing something wrong with mine for them to not last. Even whitetail hunting, after one day my boots will look like hell compared to his because I actually hike in my hiking boots...

Here is both my 2017 pair and my 2019 pair. Previous pair blew out the loops, began to de-sole and the laces fell apart. "New" pair is busting seams at the arch (both boots) and I've replaced the laces already..

Attachments

• 20210628_133859.jpg
    20210628_133859.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210628_133854.jpg
    20210628_133854.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210628_133755.jpg
    20210628_133755.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210628_133746.jpg
    20210628_133746.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
I was surprised...sent back the Thors to have the cloth eyelets replaced with
a Crispi authorized RMA to Crispi's cobbler in Utah.
The cobbler contacted Crispi and wanted to install metal eyelets,
but Crispi had him install new cloth eyelets instead.
I will never purchase Crispi boots due to this poor customer service decision.
Crispi_Thor_Boots.jpg

My father keeps buying me Danner boots for my birthday. His originals have lasted him a decade and thinks I must be doing something wrong with mine for them to not last. Even whitetail hunting, after one day my boots will look like hell compared to his because I actually hike in my hiking boots...

Here is both my 2017 pair and my 2019 pair. Previous pair blew out the loops, began to de-sole and the laces fell apart. "New" pair is busting seams at the arch (both boots) and I've replaced the laces already..
Tell him to buy you a pair of Elk Hunters, Canadians, or Rainforests.

I have Danner now, no cloth eyelets, they are pretty good.

Will never buy Danner again.

Saw them (at their Portland store) take advantage of a man for whom English was not his first language, refusing a reasonable warranty request (they voided his warranty because he didn't have socks on when he removed the boot). I watched the entire process, entranced by the absolute screwing they gave this gent. If I live long enough to wear out my Danners, I will certainly replace them with something else - even if Danner is made in the USA.
that sucks. i tried them many times because they are a local Oregon company. We have a few of the best of the best.
Nosler
Benchmade
Leupold
Pendelton Ammunition

Others too that i just dont use but I have finally broker down and bought Kenntrek. Never go back now.

I don’t like to trash companies, but Crispi just got crossed off the list for me as well. My Colorados shrunk (lengthwise) to the point that I can barely cram my toes into them after a backpacking trip. I called Crispi and was told that they can’t do anything about boots shrinking due to water and hot temperatures, and to try to stretch them back out on my own.

Hopefully I can fix the issue on my own. Back to Schnee’s again in the future.

Back