Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Booking a flight

jvanhoy

I'm going to be flying from VA to CO twice this year. Once in July with my wife for our 20 year Anniversary trip/scouting trip for me and for my elk hunt in September. Looking at flying frontier air from either Knoxville or maybe Charlotte NC to Denver depending on price difference. Last year they had some great fairs but this far out everything is still a little high. Everything I have read online says book around 90 days out to get the best price. The only thing that worries me for July is we need to fly out on the 3rd. Hate to wait and because of the holiday the price gets jacked up. Any tips on booking? Ive only flew 2 other times. Would you book through the airline or look at some of these websites like cheap flight or kayak?
Thanks

Use google flights. I’m surprised how many times you can pick up flights from Delta, United or American for roughly the same price as Frontier. I have flown Frontier a lot and they really suck.

I've had really good luck with Southwest. Have to use their website to book. I use their rapid rewards card, something to check out. Also no baggage fees.

Use google flights. I’m surprised how many times you can pick up flights from Delta, United or American for roughly the same price as Frontier. I have flown Frontier a lot and they really suck.

Delta is a option from my home airport but right now it’s about 400 dollars more for both tickets. What’s bad about frontier?

I've had really good luck with Southwest. Have to use their website to book. I use their rapid rewards card, something to check out. Also no baggage fees.

Thanks but Southwest isn’t a option from anywhere close. Good thing for my hunt is my dad is driving out early and taking all gear and bringing meat back so all I’ll have is a carry on. How far out is best to book?

Look on Cheap O Air. Pretty good pricing. Flew Delta in November to Austin from Indy. Driving would have taken 12 hours 45 minutes. Flight with delays was 12 hours. Very rude gate and customer service people and the stewards were making out behind us in the galley. Southwest is a goat rope every time I fly them. Flying China Air in February, wish me luck.

I usually fly into Richmond, Virginia using Delta...2 connections from Fairbanks to Richmond (Seattle, Atlanta)

Going from Virginia to Colorado, you might consider what airlines can fly your route with minimal connections.
(I assume your flying out of Richmond,VA)

One variable in price is the date of travel, for example it cost a couple
hundred dollars more to travel during the peak of spring break in March compared
to the end of February or late March this year. My guess is same with the July 4 weekend..
if you can, you might considering checking out prices before or after popular dates.

Might want to look at a different carrier for your hunt, frontiers luggage policy blows and might cost you $400+ to get your gear and meat there and back versus another airline. For instance I was able to do a caribou hunt in AK from Denver with $50 in baggage fees on Alaska airlines.

Might want to look at a different carrier for your hunt, frontiers luggage policy blows and might cost you $400+ to get your gear and meat there and back versus another airline. For instance I was able to do a caribou hunt in AK from Denver with $50 in baggage fees on Alaska airlines.

Baggage fees can add up; Also check out Southwest (you need to go to their website, they usually don't show up when searching travel sites). 2 free checked bags

Delta is a option from my home airport but right now it’s about 400 dollars more for both tickets. What’s bad about frontier?

Baggage fees that will cause them to be the same price as the bigger and nicer carriers. They have, by far, the worst customer service I have experienced. They also have the worst seats and least leg room of any airline I have flown.

I used to commute from SLC to Denver weekly and flew Frontier because it was cheap. I also have to fly a fair amount with work. I feel like I can find a sweet spot in ticket prices between 3-6 weeks before departure. If you are really interested, I recommend following The Points Guy or any of the other travel blogs and credit card points sites. They review the airlines and best times to book. I started following them about a year ago and it has helped a fair amount. That is how I found Google Flights and it has been a game changer for me.

Baggage fees that will cause them to be the same price as the bigger and nicer carriers. They have, by far, the worst customer service I have experienced. They also have the worst seats and least leg room of any airline I have flown.

I used to commute from SLC to Denver weekly and flew Frontier because it was cheap. I also have to fly a fair amount with work. I feel like I can find a sweet spot in ticket prices between 3-6 weeks before departure. If you are really interested, I recommend following The Points Guy or any of the other travel blogs and credit card points sites. They review the airlines and best times to book. I started following them about a year ago and it has helped a fair amount. That is how I found Google Flights and it has been a game changer for me.

Thanks I’m really liking google flights. Nice to be able to get emailed price changes.

I got a delta amex card just for the free bags plus the promo of $300 off tickets. Gonna cancel after the trip.

You should look into getting the Southwest companion pass. They're offering it for the rest of the year after $3k spend on their credit card. This is the easiest way to earn the companion pass. With the companion pass you're wife can fly with you for free. I haven't paid for a flight in the last 4-5 years just using credit card points. NEVER carry a balance either, just use it for everyday spending (gas, groceries, etc...)

Google flights is the way to go. Add the spefic flight you want and book when they go below the moving average.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back