Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Book recommendations?

Faulkner's "The Big Woods" is my favorite hunting related literature. Although, it is centered around older southern hunting styles and filled with southern slang, so I'm not sure how accessible it is to someone absent this region. Still I think the section "the old people" is outstanding and his prelude within the work, "Mississippi", is a powerful conservation reminder.

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. Not an “outdoors” book per se, but certainly picturesque and filled with imagery of the natural world and people out in it. Beautiful book.

Fair Chase with Alaskan Guides, Hal Waugh

Grass Beyond the Mountains,
Rancher Takes a Wife,
Nothing to good for a Cowboy, all by Richmond P Hobson, frontier cattle ranching in northern BC

Driftwood Valley, Theodora Stanwell-Fletcher, again northern BC

They Left Their Tracks and Copenhaver Country, Howard Copenhaver, Bob Marshall Wilderness guiding

All off the top of my head, plenty of good reading

I would highly recommend all of capsticks books. Also, probably my favorite book of all time is by Jim Corbett. I don’t know the name off the top of my head but it’s short stories about him hunting man eating tigers and leopards

Full of attitude today, and I’d bet I cast those line a thousand times but I’ll take it.View attachment 110166

I've caught a few trout off the dam in the background. If you like fiction, I read a book called "Skeeter" by Kay Smith several times growing up. Would probably still enjoy it today.

Wildlife: American Buffalo by Rinella

Motivational: Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink

Money: The Big Short by Michael Lewis

Entertainment: anything by Louis L’Amour

The trio of books by Walter Bell are probably my all time favorite. I certainly recommend if you can find them. And pretty much any other elephant hunting book.

Capsticks books are real good too.

Jungle Man by P.J. Pretorius.

Any Wilbur Smith books

I pretty much only read books on African hunting and adventure.

I always like bringing a Sigurd Olson book on canoe trips and hunting trips. Most of his books are made up of short essays and observations about the wilderness, so its a perfect companion, easy to get through a chapter or essay here and there when you have time. I've worn out one or two copies of The Lonely Land and Runes of the North.

I'll second what Europe wrote, except that I'm not a fan of Jack London's writings. I also like Faulkner's works. Try some of Rudyard Kippling's stuff. Russell Annabel is definitely worth looking into for American hunting/outdoor stories. Capstick is a must read for the African stuff and I like Hunter and Ruark for Africa too. Read some of Patterson's stuff. James Corbett was the go-to guy for sorting out man-eaters in India back when Britain had stock in Asia, he has some good works.

Back