MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Book Reccomendations for Long Hunt

KayakMacGyver

Looking for a great book or two to occupy "down time" during an upcoming 2 week elk hunt. The first 9 days I'll be hunting solo and know I'm going to need something for my wandering mind. I hope to never turn a page if the elk are screaming all day, every day....but my limited experience has shown me I shouldn't hold my breath.

Interested in good historical non-fiction mostly. Things related to hunting in the mountains interest me greatly since I'm born and raised in Florida and relatively new to western hunting. However, I'm open to suggestions.

Probably what you are looking for...
The Animal Dialogues
American Serengeti
Artic Dreams
American Buffalo
Meat Eater
Salt: A World History
A Sand County Almanac
The Destruction of the Bison: An Environmental History 1750-1920
Death in the Long Grass

Personal Favorites, although not historical non-fiction
Dune
Ender's Game
Shibumi
The Lost World
English Creek
Captains Courageous
The Name of the Wind
Red Rising
The Dog Stars
Wool Omnibus
Interview with a Vampire
Fevre Dream
Shantaram
Anna Karenina
Foundation
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Forever War

All the books from Bill Orielly in the “Killing” series is great. Has nothing to do with politics. Killing Lincoln, Killing Patton are my favorite. Great history.

All great suggestions...thank you! Ordered Sands County Almanac just a few minutes ago. Going to pick one more from the suggestions and save the rest for the future.

New book on Grinnell just got released. I got my copy in but haven't started yet. Anything Grinnell should be good.

Grinnell: America's Environmental Pioneer and His Restless Drive to Save the West

If these 2 were required reading in high school there would never have been a PLT movement or Sagebrush Rebellion. Only open them when you are prepared to have your understanding of the American West irrevocably altered:

Beyond the 100th Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the 2nd opening of the west by Wallace Stegner

Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back