Bob Marshall Trip

theat

A couple of weeks ago, I had the good fortune to spend six days covering about 75 miles through the Bob Marshall Wilderness. We initially intended to be in the wilderness for 8-9 days, but due to some unseasonably cold and wet weather, we started two days late.The three of us hiked about 21 miles in the first day and a half to where we inflated our packrafts and hit the water.

DSCN0663.jpgDSCN0659.jpgDSCN0672.jpgDSCN0687.jpgDSCN0693.jpg

The first stretch of water was small and low, with many portages around log jams and shallow riffles. The fishing and scenery were well worth the effort.

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0734.jpg

DSCN0789.jpg

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0773.jpg

DSCN0776.jpg

Last edited:
The third day we decided to portage a couple miles around the gorge (3 pics up)that we had fished and scouted the evening before. Back on the water we encountered a few more log jams, but for the most part if was smooth sailing.

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0824.jpg

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0832.jpg

DSCN0886.jpg

Remains of Ford Tri Motor Airplane Crashed in 1938

DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0845.jpg

The last few days of the trip were spent floating and fishing with a few short hikes to a lake and a couple ranger stations. We encountered many rapids that were quite fun in our little packrafts. The last few miles of river before exiting the wilderness are through a dangerous gorge that necks down to under 6 feet wide in several places. This meant, we had to once again load our gear and boats onto our backs for a another few miles on the trail. The still cold beers in the cooler waiting at the truck tasted pretty good.

DSCN0865.jpg

DSCN0945.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

DSCN0976.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0994.jpg

What an experience, that has got to be the best way to explore!
Stunning place and some really nice fish.
Cheers
Richard

Nothing beats the Bob. Beautiful country and fish. I am officially jealous.

Very cool!!
Thanks for sharing - like I needed something else on my bucket list.....

Outstanding photos. What kind of packrafts are those?

Back