After reading this I showed it to my sister and told her that she needs to step her game up big time cause right now the sister cool meter is more on the lame side than the cool side.

She promptly told me "my brother cool meter was more on the im gonna deck you side".

"I didnt know that was a side" I said.

She says "I just made it up now... how's that for cool". 🤔😂

Awesome hunt thanks for sharing.

That was a great write up (and photos), thanks for sharing. Glad you got to spend some quality time with your sister.

Love it.

“She then reached in her pack -and pulled out a LaCroix. She cracked it open, took a swig and said MTFU pilgrim”.
Urban dictionary cool..like

It's not la-croiks or la-kwah, nor is it la crow-ix. It's pronounced la-croy, just like the island in the Caribbean, St. Croix. And if you forget, just remember that LaCroix rhymes with enjoy, which is what you will do when you drink it.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/81729/untold-truth-lacroix/?utm_campaign=clip

Congrats to both of you on a successful hunt and thanks for sharing.
I have always heard of people using boats, canoes, rafts to access isolated spots of public for whitetails but it’s not very often you hear anyone rafting the rivers to gain access on a western hunt. Very cool.

How things went down*
View attachment 159754
*In an attempt to not further draw attention to a unit Steven Rinella exploited, which as you will see has EPIC bucks I have used a similar area in another state to convey my ideas. This is my story and I will lie and obfuscate however I choose, deal with it.

(purple us)
(red spooked bucks)
(blue our bucks)

So we float down to public bail out of the boats and head up to what I believe is the arroyo adjacent to arroyo the bucks were working up.

I'm excited, FINALLY...

So I get too far ahead of my sister, ok... I'm like running up this steep slope and she's just like "WTF dude".

I heard the rock sliding and hoof beats ahead of us... crappp.

We quickly climb across the sage flat on top of the arroyo and I set up my pack for her to shoot from.

I see the 3 bucks down in the arroyo below looks like the crested just up from where we were and moved into the adjacent arroyo, first buck is a good (for me) 4x4 range it 100 yards. I'm thinking this is perfect they will climb the slope and she will have a shot.

Yeah... no. Bucks charge up and away from us, I make some grunts, whistle, etc. nope they cruise out to 500 yards before they turn.

We're both a little crest fallen at this point. We just sit there for a bit watching them, I'm think... well maybe we can...

"OH! deer"

I look over and just blow us in the arroyo bottom are three deer. These are the actual 3 bucks we had seen from the river. I had been right on with my stalk and we had just found another group on our stalk.

I excitedly move the pack to get my sister set up.

"F&%$" - I place by butt squarely in cactus. My sister at this point is just like... OMFG really. She grabs the gun, gets settled and takes the shot.

Solid hit, dead buck.

As we walk over I have to stop several times to pick thorns out of my butt. Her buck may be dead, but my pride is severely wounded.

View attachment 159761

That is a great pic and a pretty classy looking rifle...classic old Mode 70 in .270??? It doesn’t zoom up too good for me to tell for sure.

Great thread and story, a very cool and unique way to hunt anything let alone a mule deer hunt.

Are we gonna get the scientific @wllm1313 breakdown of gear and packraft details. I'd sure like to see it. 👍

Again congrats to her!

Your hunt write-ups have really become next-level. Congratulations on the incredible time with your sister, and to her success.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back