Blown Stalk Mule Deer Stories

I chased a big 3x3 and his does for just under 9 miles in circles a couple years ago in arizona. I got within range multiple times but a shot never showed itself. His ladies busted me everytime. That was the 3rd or 4th day of the hunt and although it was an exciting day it was pretty deflating to get within bow range multiple times and not get a shot off. Did manage to fill my tag tho on a better buck on the last day after a 5ish hour stalk.

I wouldn't call it a stalk, but in 2019 @elkmagnet and myself were hunting Mule Deer in Wyoming. In typical Wyoming fashion the wind was whipping good. About mid-day we found a place to get out of the wind and snow to glass. After setting down and glassing for a while, my bladder decides I need to take a whiz. I walk around the bend for a little bit of a relief and mid-stream I notice two nice bucks admiring me from less than 75 yards away. I don't remember zipping back up, but I hunched over and quickly made my way back to magnet and my rifle. We inch back over to find the bucks still there, but while I was getting ready to shoot they bound away. Magnet takes off after them and I follow. The bigger buck stops at about 250 broadside and I cover my ears prepped for magnet to shoot. He turns the safety back on and says "You need to shoot the buck". I quickly got positioned and had the crosshairs behind the front shoulder when they bounded off again right as I flipped the safety. I was bummed, but quickly realized I had a hell of a hunting partner.

Those two bucks were bedded less that a 100 yards from us, likely for a couple hours or so. We still fared pretty well on that trip.

I wouldn't call it a stalk, but in 2019 @elkmagnet and myself were hunting Mule Deer in Wyoming. In typical Wyoming fashion the wind was whipping good. About mid-day we found a place to get out of the wind and snow to glass. After setting down and glassing for a while, my bladder decides I need to take a whiz. I walk around the bend for a little bit of a relief and mid-stream I notice two nice bucks admiring me from less than 75 yards away. I don't remember zipping back up, but I hunched over and quickly made my way back to magnet and my rifle. We inch back over to find the bucks still there, but while I was getting ready to shoot they bound away. Magnet takes off after them and I follow. The bigger buck stops at about 250 broadside and I cover my ears prepped for magnet to shoot. He turns the safety back on and says "You need to shoot the buck". I quickly got positioned and had the crosshairs behind the front shoulder when they bounded off again right as I flipped the safety. I was bummed, but quickly realized I had a hell of a hunting partner.

Those two bucks were bedded less that a 100 yards from us, likely for a couple hours or so. We still fared pretty well on that trip.
That was a good day!

About 15 years ago, I had patterned a doe group walking out of a bedding area to feed in fields by the river in CO 11. My elderly father had a doe tag, and I had set him up to intercept the group at about 50 yards or less from the trail they were using. Right at sundown the group came out and started down the trail. My father decided it was time to take a leak, set down his rifle, and goes behind a bush to take care of his business (I saw this from about 500 yds or so, as I was watching an area with a good sized buck). The doe group took a different trail that put them within 10 yards of dad, while he was taking a leak. Upon my dad finishing his business, he moved towards his rifle, only to find the whole group of does standing in front of him. The lead doe stomped and snorted, and then it was a chinese fire drill that ended without a single shot! I asked him later how things went, and he said he got surprised by a few deer.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back