BLM land gated/posted No Trespassing, what to do?

Crillyiv

I came across this road blocked and posted last year while in UT. OnX shows it as being well into BLM land. Looking at overhead imagery it appears the road stays on BLM land.

If you encountered something like this, what would you do to determine if you were able to legally access the land? iow, That it had been improperly blocked. Is the local BLM office the best place to contact, or start looking into something like this?

Would it matter what state this happened in?

Thanks

20200523 UT BLM road gated.jpg

Attachments

• 20200523 UT BLM No Trespass sign.jpg
    20200523 UT BLM No Trespass sign.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the replies and info.

Luckily, I'm stoopid and slow, but trainable.

I would respect the private aspect of the road in this case until I had verified with the land management agency or the CO or Sheriff who would be writing you the ticket. I would take the land to be public and accessible by foot.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't even thought about accessing it by foot, not on the road, being okay.

I've reached out to the local BLM office for that location. I'll share what I hear back from them.

This was kind of a fun one to poke around at online. It looks like Utah makes a lot of their documentation around mine claims public.

Documentation for the hub development company, seemingly mostly miller rock mine going back to 1989: https://ogm.utah.gov/minerals/MineralsPDO/angularmineralsfilesbypermit.php?S0150043

Miller Rock Mine plan, the gate's mentioned: https://fs.ogm.utah.gov/FILES/MINERALS/PERMITS/015/S0150043/2020/Incoming/09012020.pdf

It'll be interesting to see what the BLM office says about it.

This was kind of a fun one to poke around at online. It looks like Utah makes a lot of their documentation around mine claims public.

Documentation for the hub development company, seemingly mostly miller rock mine going back to 1989: https://ogm.utah.gov/minerals/MineralsPDO/angularmineralsfilesbypermit.php?S0150043

Miller Rock Mine plan, the gate's mentioned: https://fs.ogm.utah.gov/FILES/MINERALS/PERMITS/015/S0150043/2020/Incoming/09012020.pdf

It'll be interesting to see what the BLM office says about it.
wow, ya learn something every day

Thank you very much for finding and sharing this.

I never would've guessed any of that would be available publicly online. It definitely appears to cover my question about the closed road. I didn't read the whole document, but the "indignant wildlife" mentioned on page 3 cracked me up. Given everything mentioned in the document I can see why they'd want to restrict access.

Active mines on BLM leases are essentially private property.

They can't get the mine permit without restricting public access for a variety of reasons.

I live and hunt in close proximity to two of the largest mine complexes in NV.

There are ways around certain parts but not all. Some allow access through. Some have created adjacent access roads as part of the permit process. It can be quite confusing and convoluted.

Contact the local fed office and verify. If the mine is improperly posting against their permit, it will get fixed. If it is a valid restriction in compliance with the permit, they will tell you.

Sounds like a lot of you are knowledgeable on this. Thank you for letting us know

Active mines on BLM leases are essentially private property.

They can't get the mine permit without restricting public access for a variety of reasons.

I live and hunt in close proximity to two of the largest mine complexes in NV.

There are ways around certain parts but not all. Some allow access through. Some have created adjacent access roads as part of the permit process. It can be quite confusing and convoluted.

Contact the local fed office and verify. If the mine is improperly posting against their permit, it will get fixed. If it is a valid restriction in compliance with the permit, they will tell you.
This is exactly the way to handle it

I've gotten mixed replies from the official folks I've contacted about this particular location. Regardless, I agree that the thing to do is contact the appropriate officials/offices and go from there as others have said.

Thanks to everyone who shared info. and experiences with these types of situations.

Get a chain and rip it down....

Then ask the BHA for assistance fighting your ticket. lol

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back