BLM Advocating for increased EBike use

Schaaf

William Pendley wrote this op-Ed advocating for increased use of E-Bikes.

Pendley on E-Bikes

What level of gaslighting is it when an agency advocates for one thing and then at the very end mentions they’ll be going through a “thorough public comment process” on the issue?

I want all Americans to be able to have those kinds of opportunities too, and the chance to create lifelong memories exploring and enjoying the great outdoors.

Right now, most people are using ATVs on BLM "trails currently closed to motorized vehicles". What is the difference if you don't enforce the rule? If I had choice in what other people are using, I think I would prefer the ebike. I know I am digressing from the debate point of the article. I'm sure there will be a huge focus on the popular biking spots mentioned in the article, but BLM and state agencies are understaffed to enforce whatever rule they come up with.

Right now, most people are using ATVs on BLM "trails currently closed to motorized vehicles". What is the difference if you don't enforce the rule? If I had choice in what other people are using, I think I would prefer the ebike. I know I am digressing from the debate point of the article. I'm sure there will be a huge focus on the popular biking spots mentioned in the article, but BLM and state agencies are understaffed to enforce whatever rule they come up with.
Persuasive misuse of bias rationale. Using analogous logic, then due to under-enforcement of DUI laws and the trend to "buzz" drive, then it's okay as long as your limit is ten drinks per outing.

Persuasive misuse of bias rationale. Using analogous logic, then due to under-enforcement of DUI laws and the trend to "buzz" drive, then it's okay as long as your limit is ten drinks per outing.
I didn't say I like it. I am just saying whatever rule they come up doesn't matter if it is not enforced. My views on ATVs have been expressed in other threads. I am sure I won't like ebikes any better.

By the way, how many people will know about this new MT rule on buying a use permit? I just randomly ran across it on the FWP website.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/recreation/nr_0544.html

IMHO -WPP is the worst rabbit punch the public lands movement has ever taken from an administration. Agree with prior posts that abuses are happening. I wish there was a season for ATVs, but my taxidermist charges by the pound.

BUUUT - Does this enlist more cyclers into the public land fight? If users become advocates than we gain allies.

Let's back up a little. I'm a walk-in hunter. And I'm not young. I'm not looking for competition. Not even from the horse and llama crowd. I do recognize that it's their land as much as mine. What I'm saying is that if cyclists (who are already there) will join us in fighting the divestiture or pillaging of BLM lands. We should be open to that.

I think the term gas lighting describes the Pendley's approach very well. No shock to open the URL and see it is from The Deseret News, where else?
Reading the article, I can't help but think that the next OP-Ed he writes will be about how "Seasoned Citizens" cannot access Designated Wilderness, making it the elitist playground of the young and healthy.

If and when electric powered bikes become allowed on trails,,, you can expect them to pop up like mushrooms after a good rain. Peddling a bike up hill is a chore, going up one in an e-bike is a piece of cake according to my sister.

So, how much lobbying money have the e bike manufacturers been spending lately?

E Bikes need to be in the same classification as motorcycles. The presence of pedals don't mean a fricken thing. mtmuley

agreed fully as someone that has a nice mtn bike and grew up riding dirt bikes

Last edited:
E Bikes need to be in the same classification as motorcycles. The presence of pedals don't mean a fricken thing. mtmuley
States have varying laws on what constitutes whether an e-bike is classified as a bicycle or motor vehicle. Some base it on wattage, with thresholds at either 750 watts or 1000 watts, and some do it based on max speed and whether it’s a “pedal assist” system or one where there’s a throttle and you don’t have to pedal to make it go. From the e-bikes I’ve seen, I think they should be allowed anywhere bikes are allowed so long as they have defined parameters such that they perform more like bikes and less like motorcycles.

From a hunting standpoint, I would also have the same opinion. I don’t see any advantage an e-bike would provide that horses and or pack animals don’t provide. And not all of us are in a position to be able to own horses or llamas. It levels the playing field a bit for us. I sometimes hunt from my bike. I looked into buying an e-bike, but did not specifically because of the rules forbidding them on “no motorized vehicles” trails on federal, and most state, land. I realize that others on here have different opinions, but I would personally like to see e-bikes that are classified as bikes vs motor vehicles be allowed on public land trail where bikes are otherwise allowed.

I'm opposed to motorized bikes on non motorized designated areas of our public lands.

Note: there are the boots only crowd and then there are those who hold commitment to Public Lands in Public Hands. Open to join a common cause and build a larger support base.

There would be a supportive base from non motorized cyclist groups if the boots only crowd found a table to discuss WSA's and work together to define trails in our National Forests for cyclists and boots within our Public Lands.

Boots only groups are opposed to other public land users and continue to cut their own throat and take down the rest of us who are supportive of boot routes while respecting other opportunities to enjoy our public lands.

I have friends who love the outdoors and love to explore said outdoors with their cycles who are are not fans of motorized cycles though more opposed to the boots only crowd who's only position has been to give the ..I.. .

Hopefully BLM does not continue this route though it's my believe the boots only people have a good portion to blame for this come to the forefront of our public lands.

There would be a supportive base from non motorized cyclist groups if the boots only crowd found a table to discuss WSA's and work together to define trails in our National Forests for cyclists and boots within our Public Lands.

Respectfully, I am not sure this is true. I've been following SWMMBA (Southwest Montana Mountain Biking Association) and other groups for a while, and often when those groups mention anything negative about ebikes they get eaten alive by their members. Not a scientific study at all, but I am starting to see a movement and attitude from most mountain bikers that is indifferent to ebikes, and views them as just another flavor of mountain biking. They're not concerned about the progression of technology, or the effects of increased recreation on wildlands. They are focused on trails. It's their bread and butter. I've talked to a fair amount of them, particularly when researching issues in the Elkhorns. I would agree that mountain bikers can be treated unfairly at times, but what I think many have yet to wake up to is that mountain bikers as an advocacy group, are probably more powerful than hunters at this point in terms of manipulating and informing land management and projects moving forward. Land managers want "wins" under their belt, and Mtn Bikers are more organized and well funded than any others. I've heard it from the mouths of agency employees.

To the OP, I am grateful that the USDA still views e-bikes as motorized. Pendley is a fox guarding the henhouse, and this type of BS is expected behavior from this administration. But to my earlier point, say they do put it out for public comment. I predict that comments in support of ebikes on nonmotorized trails will exceed the desired restriction of them or at the very least it will be a wash.

I agree and do see that happening to a certain extent already. I am an advocate for any and all groups to first agree on the premise that the conservation and protection of the resource, whether it be public BLM, USFS, State, Wilderness, WSA or whatever, should be the focus ... then begin the discussion from there as to how to share the opportunities available through recreating on the resource. The problem is that each group seeks to increase their "turf" through raising money, lobbying, and employing the almighty dollar to get the maximum of "what they want". Conservation and protection of the resource seems to be an "aside" conversation.

The cycling community is far from being in lockstep with ebike acceptance.

https://blisterreview.com/featured/pinkbikes-efailure

There's many more.

I guess I’m just from the old school.
Let me tell ya youngins about how it was back in my day.
Back in my day words meant what words meant. Men had men parts and women had women parts. If somebody was standing to piss down my back, while remarking of the rain, I knew it was a man. During this time of backwards thinkin, non motorized vehicles did not have motors either. I reckon this was cause when ya place the word ‘non’ in front of ‘motor’ it meant that there weren’t no motor. I think that’s what the teachin’ lady said when we was learnin bout prefixes or somethin.
Oh for it to be 1990-2018.5 again.

Last edited:
Back