Blisters

I walked between 35 and 40 miles last week over 2 days, shortly after i started my my feet got wet crossing a river.
My boots are Meindl, i use a coolmax liner and then smartwool socks, finished the walk, no blisters.
My mate uses mycil powder at the end of the day and swears by it.
Cheers
Richard

I've generally be able to avoid blisters through a combination of sock layering (thin polypro under midweight wool) and insoles. Often times different combos for different boots depending on how they fit my feet and I never got blisters in my previous pair of Meindls.

That said, this is the best preventative measure if the socks/insoles don't solve it. Kicks the crap out of bandaids, moleskin, etc. Just be forewarned that if you should wait until the hunt is over to remove it! ;)
Best fix I found for blisters is to put duct tape on the known locations you get blisters before you hike.

Might make it out sheep hunting. Not sure yet ; )

Lawnboy-
If you get blisters with all boots I'd suggest a custom boot or at least a place that can custom fit a boot (neither being cheap). These guys were great to work with in getting a pair of boots fitted and their insoles ROCK. Their background is in custom fitting orthopedics and prosthetics.
http://www.lathropandsons.com/

I’ve gone through a couple pairs of lowa’s with no problems. I wanted a uninsulated pair of hikers so I picked up a pair of Kenetrek hardscrabble hikers the other day. One short hike later I now have a blister on each heel. I think the last time I had a blister I was about 14 years old. I am ready to leave these boots on the curb.

I think my next pair of boots will be lowas. Everyone I know that has them loves them.

I think you need to find boots that fit better.
Heel slip is bad news...

I think I'll try the poly layer sock idea and see if that helps with heat disapation. Like I mentioned before I really love my Kenetreks. They have incredible support and a great sole. My problem is universal with most boots and I appreciate the ideas that have been thrown out. I'll give them a try.

I agree with everyone who stressed the importance of a liner beneath the sock. Also, perfectly-fitting boots prevent a heel from slipping, or your foot moving in the boot, causing a blister. With all my back and joint problems, I don't walk much anymore. But I started wearing W. C. Moccasin boots in the mid-80s...wore out several pairs and still have half dozen pairs--some for bird hunting, some for mountain hunting in dry weather or in rough country in cold, snowy conditions. They are hand-sewn to YOUR foot and fit perfectly. Expensive but worth every penny. My Russells will outlast me for certain.

your problems is your orthotics...you can wear whatever socks you like, but if your heel doesn't fit in the pocket of the boot then it is going to continue to rub and give you blisters. duct tape works miracles after the fact, but you need to keep the blisters from forming. have you considered just not using the orthotic in your hunting boots? you would still be using it the other 90% of the time...

L.B.
I use the poly for base layer all the time when doing any hiking now. This may sound weird to some, but the first time I went Elk hunting. My partner that passed on this year, was setting in the tent and looked at me putting on socks and wrapping some mole skin to try to prevent blisters. He handed me a pair of womens nylon stockings. He swore by them. I c't swear that they helped, but I didn't have any blisters.

My feet sweat alot , and the poly really seems to help that also.

have you considered just not using the orthotic in your hunting boots? you would still be using it the other 90% of the time...

Unfortunately if I don't wear them my feet ache like mad. I've worn them for 20+ years so my feet are used to them. I am going to try to and find a thin pair of insoles to maybe drop me back in. Cursed bad foot genetics anyway:mad:

I might give the girl nylons a try. I've been getting enough flack around here anyway for my outfits why not go all out.:D

Thanks for your help

I always get heel blisters in a new pair of boots. Brand doesn't matter and type of socks doesn't help. I used to be a big proponent of duct taping the heels until I gave these a try www.goengo.com . Haven't had any problems since then.

L.B.
I use the poly for base layer all the time when doing any hiking now. This may sound weird to some, but the first time I went Elk hunting. My partner that passed on this year, was setting in the tent and looked at me putting on socks and wrapping some mole skin to try to prevent blisters. He handed me a pair of womens nylon stockings. He swore by them. I c't swear that they helped, but I didn't have any blisters.

My feet sweat alot , and the poly really seems to help that also.

Where is Dink when you need him?

It's not my place buuut..........

Starting to get a little gay in here.:D

Lawnboy - I have constant issues with blisters and have for years (toes and heels). It's a pain to manage, but it's worse getting a full blow blister(s) that limits hunting/hiking. I still get them, but it takes longer for them to be a nuisance.

I still have yet to find the perfect solution. Here's what I do, I'll use Luekotape and mole skin depending on the foot area 'before' going out (prevention/mitigation). Liner socks have helped me and I recently got my first pair of toe liner socks (Injinji). I wear Kenetrek's mountain extreme's for most of my hunting with Superfeet green insoles and also have them in my Lowa Ranger hiking boots.

Not all mole skin is quality so I suggest getting the good stuff. The moleskin I got comes in a roll placed inside a tube. The brand is Medline and it's product is Medfix Adhesive Moleskin (professional type) #NON5147. It retails for $19 on http://mednet-store.stores.yahoo.net/jjmedbanbran.html and you get a ton of this stuff (9in x 4 yds). This will last me several seasons and it's quality.

You can also experiment with lacing your boots differently to help.

Good luck and let me know if you find something that 'works' for you. Again, all this stuff doesn't stop blisters for me, but it helps and prolongs the creation of them.

L.B.
He handed me a pair of womens nylon stockings. He swore by them. I c't swear that they helped, but I didn't have any blisters.
I hate to open myself up to the gay comments, but this does work pretty well to prevent blisters by reducing the friction between your foot and sock. Once you have blisters it isn't going to help a whole lot.

I have some polypro liner socks that accomplish much the same thing.

Have a co-worker who did two sandbox tours and swears to duct tape as the do all fixer from wounds to stopping blisters from happening... never tried it myself though he is one tough sob so I would not put it past him...

+1 on the duct tape. I put on a layer of liquid bandage (comes in a bottle similar to nail polish) and then cover with tape.

Then you just have to walk through the pain. My feet were never the same after my first deployment to AFG.

I have had more problems then most with blisters. turns out i have a really narrow heel. I now wear womens kennetrecks. And proud of it,i dont get blisters... but i still wrap my hells in duck tape every morning. Duck tape is cheap and really works! I think the key is if you feel a hot spot stop and do something like duck tape or mole skin. if you waite its to late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back