Blind on Public Land

Goatshoes

I was planning to set a blind out a week before the opener for a friend on public land (BLM) within a couple hundred yards from a water hole. While public, access is very limited. I have no expectations of having exclusive access to the area. I thought that I would put a plainly visible note on the blind identifying it as mine, with a set up date and expected take down date.

Does anybody see a problem with this? Is it inconsiderate? Can I have a reasonable expectation that the blind won't be taken down, destroyed or stolen?

No! No! The last is really a toss up. I've done it a number of times in a spot that very few, if any, hunt and have never had a problem other that wind almost tearing it to pieces one time in a bad storm. Any time you put one up on public land it's a gamble and if someone gets there before you it's their right to hunt out of it unless you take it down while they're in it! A note in it like you mentioned might at least prevent a problem if the latter happened and you decided you want to move it while they're in it! I don't think I would put a take down date on it though and give someone that may want to steal it telling them when you'll be back.

Last edited:
Your taking a chance...........I would put in the note a comment saying they can use it but I agree I would not put a date that you would be back to remove it.

You can almost bet someone else will use it. Put your info on it somewhere . Don't put it up too early or someone will take it down.

Check with the local BLM office to see if it is allowed to be up that long. I know at least one office, in the past did not allow blinds to be left up over night.

Thanks all. Esp. Topgun for the link. I know I had read that somewhere but couldn't find from where it came.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back