Black canyon of the gunnison

Bigjay73

Have a free weekend this week, and the thought of fighting 3rd season elk crowds isn't appealing. Was thinking of hiking down to the Gunnison on one of the harder trails from the rim. Had anyone made a trek down to the river? Which trail would you recommend? Probably head up Friday after work and hopefully grab a permit, then fall asleep in my truck bed while gazing at the milky way. Can't wait

Have a free weekend this week, and the thought of fighting 3rd season elk crowds isn't appealing. Was thinking of hiking down to the Gunnison on one of the harder trails from the rim. Had anyone made a trek down to the river? Which trail would you recommend? Probably head up Friday after work and hopefully grab a permit, then fall asleep in my truck bed while gazing at the milky way. Can't wait
If you go, send me a PM after report if you don’t mind. This one has been on my bucket list since I read my first John Geirach book 25 years ago.

The Gunnison is one of my favorite rivers. Used to do fisheries work down there many moons ago. Made the trek down the Duncan trail every month. Nice hike, and I can’t remember the numbers exactly but you lose something like 1000 vertical feet in the last 1/4 mile or something crazy. Also helicoptered in and then hiked out the Ute trail. Longer, but beautiful. Really cool country down in there. Would love to go back sometime.

I've taken the Gunnison Trail (just past the visitors center) once in the past. If I recall right I don't think it was incredibly well marked and obviously very steep. Lots of fun though and great views and fishing.
1604415402996.png

I'm kinda leaning towards that trail. Only downside is some of the trails are listed as giving you twice as much river access. I think the gunnison trail is listed as having .75 miles of shore access though, should be enough for this trout seeker

I'm very interested in any sheep observations you might have in the canyon (wild or domestic).

I'm very interested in any sheep observations you might have in the canyon (wild or domestic).
Nada. Saw some tracks and fresh droppings, but no sightings. Pretty sure I heard a few laughing at me while stumbling down the draw

Reactions: Oak
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back