Black bear recipes

Bigmo58

So I shot a early summer black bear here in Utah and right out of the gate I smoked a ham. It was fabulous. 19 hours of smoke and it just fell off the bone. But now I am looking for other ideas. Black bear chili is on the board for the next week or so but what else can I do?EF1F61D9-19B2-4859-B95B-6A5F3E109764.jpeg

I cooked up a tenderloin a while back that was amazing... pretty much the best the best piece of meat I've cooked.

I seasoned it will salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder seared all sides. Then I put it in the sous vide at 145 for 18ish hours.

1566842103657.png

Anything you would do with pork. Bear makes great sausage.

Who in the hell would BBQ brisket? :oops:

Well if we're talking real BBQ then that's the only way, low and slow. Now if you're asking who would GRILL a brisket, only a crazy person lol.

I may be a bit of a BBQ snob, lol. I'm not rocking a wood burner, but lump charcoal and wood chunks all the way.

Bear breakfast sausage (seasoned breakfast sausage to your taste) makes the best breakfast burritos. Sausage, egg, and potato. Cheese and salsa to taste. I also put pepperoncinis in mine.

Also, use the breakfast sausage for some awesome biscuits and gravy. None better!

Well if we're talking real BBQ then that's the only way, low and slow. Now if you're asking who would GRILL a brisket, only a crazy person lol.

I may be a bit of a BBQ snob, lol. I'm not rocking a wood burner, but lump charcoal and wood chunks all the way.

There was a pretty funny thread at one point where someone was asking what kinda of wood to bring to CO for their elk hunt to cook over... apparently our wood sucks.

They may or may not have a point, I don't know, all I'm saying is that's a pretty persnickety marshmellow roaster

I do my brisket in the smoker

How about burgers with straight ground bear. Large toasted kaiser bun, provolone cheese, and dill pickle. Best burger I’ve ever had.

I try and make the patties with a larger diameter and fairly thin to ensure they are thoroughly cooked and I don’t have to cook them forever to get them done.

My second choice would be a roast with some red potatoes, carrots, onion, and diced celery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back