Bitterroot Bighorns have pneumonia

On Sunday my hunting partner and I saw a BigHorn Ram bedded along the hwy early as we went hunting. I told him someone must have hit the sheep the night before. They never bed down there at night. We saw the same sheep in the back of the Bio's truck when we went through the ckeck station. This is really bad news. Pisses me off that a few half arsed ranchers can have this impact. One ranch I know up the east fork has like 10 or 12 domestic sheep.

This is potentially very, very disastrous.
As if that area hasn't had enough wildlife woes of late...
How many times does this need to happen before people get a god damn clue?

I wonder if this is purely natural or if there is some connection to domestic animals.

Usually it's a certain type of pneumonia called "Pasturella" ( I think that's how it's spelled). It's transmitted directly from domestic sheep. It's a virus that's always living on them and doesn't hurt them. When the two mix, the wild sheep always die.

Darn shame for Montana bighorns, best of luck in dealing with it.

It has always amazed me seeing people with domestics just south of Missoula along I-15, they have to be mixing with wild sheep.

Wow; that is a damn shame. Simple solution to disallow mixing of domestic animals with the wild ones (e.g. keep domestic sheep on private, fenced ranches)? Or do ranchers have locked-in lease rights with the state that can't be broken?

Keeping domestic sheep on private land may not ensure that they are always kept seperate. Likewise, many strains of Pasteurella (some which can cause pneumonia) occur naturally in Bighorn Sheep.

Darn shame for Montana bighorns, best of luck in dealing with it.

It has always amazed me seeing people with domestics just south of Missoula along I-15, they have to be mixing with wild sheep.

Do a search on the Highland bighorns, its amazing how they're repeatedly killed off and re-planted. It was at one time the biggest herd in the state.

The local Bio, picked up three yesterday, one Ram was 9 years old. What a shame a hunter hadn't had the chance to hang him on a wall. We saw one bedded along side the road again this morning. She was dead by the time we got back. A Big Ram was with her last night, he was bedded up the hill a couple hundred yards up. Black birds and eagles all over the sheep winter range. Sad.

I was planning on heading down there next week to take pictures. Don't think I could stomach the trip now.

I saw the local Bio yesterday in the East Fork with a truck load of dead sheep, rams, ewes, and lambs, sad deal!

There is still about 100 sheep missing and un accounted for. They have not turned up dead, but have not been seen alive. Hopefully when FWP starts flying the mule deer surveys hopefully they will show up. If that 100 is gone, plus what has been culled and found dead, well that would spell disaster.

Yep that was FWP flying mule deer surveys, but also trying to get a handle on what sheep are left. They saw almost 100 bighorns still alive, but had to cull out 2 more rams. The remaining sheep seem to look good. Lets hope!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back