Bison in MT

Where in the hell in the Madison Range did you pick up a bison skull at 10000ft?

Sorry, just went back and looked at it................It was actually at 8300'. I was thinking for some reason the ridge above me was 10K but after looking again its 9K.....

So correction, found buffalo skull at 8,400 feet..............here is a pic.

here it is

Forgot to attach, here it is
I almost packed it out but was so far up there and my pack was already heavy as hell. Was the last thing i thought i would see there. In fact saw 4 mountain goats about 300 yards up the hill from where i picked this thing up out of the ground. all that was showing was pretty much the one horn.......

Attachments

• Old Buffalo Skull small.jpg
    Old Buffalo Skull small.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 158
Here in Colorado I have heard of buff skulls found up on the Flattops.

My brother found one that had to be around 9500ft or better.

I was watching the National Geographic Channel the other night and they showed American Serengeti. It was about restoring Montana's grasslands to a Lewis & Clark time period. They were showing and discussing restoring Bison to various areas of the state. Is this part of that plan? John

I was watching the National Geographic Channel the other night and they showed American Serengeti. It was about restoring Montana's grasslands to a Lewis & Clark time period. They were showing and discussing restoring Bison to various areas of the state. Is this part of that plan? John

I saw the same show, and that was talking about the area around the CMR, the areas fwp are looking at are on the opposite side of the state.

I saw the same show, and that was talking about the area around the CMR, the areas fwp are looking at are on the opposite side of the state.

American Prairie Foundation is still working on the concept, and they have about 100,000 acres that they've purchased, and secured the grazing leases to. They're only running about 200 head of bison now, but their goal is to increase those holding significantly in order to create a 3 million acre reserve where bison will be utilized.

We did a tour of their properties, and it's a pretty cool program that they have. They're running in to a lot of resistance from the locals, though. Good upland and pronghorn hunting on APF's place, and it's enrolled in block management.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back