Bismuth, Tungsten, and other non-toxic shot

yooper

I'd like to hear from folks who are using this new stuff. I'm old enough to have hunted ducks with lead shot, and yet I'm young enough to have adapted to non-toxic shot.

I haven't been able to justify $2.00/shell for Bismuth, when I can buy a box of 25 steel mags for $8.00 but I'm wondering: Are those new loads worth the $$$?

------------------

VEGETARIAN: Indian word meaning 'Bad Hunter'

actually i only pay a buck a round and i have noticed better kills. bis penetrates far better than steel. of course i don't buy shells by the case anymore. i am far more particular and i do alright so it works out for me. for goose i really like it.

------------------
visit our page

www.wilcoxwebworks.com/tg

i cant say from experience because i dont use them but, a buddy of mine swears by the bis. for long range shots says it has the knock down power of lead and penetrates very well on larger birds! just his .02

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8e353.gif.orig.gif

I to remember lead shot, i'm only 26 but I bagged a bunch of ducks as a kid with a 20gauge Ithaca O/U and lead #4's. I switched to lead #6's sometimes 7 1/2's over decoys, but #4 was my favorite lead shot for ducks.

I took up duckhuntin again after a long time off, was distraught with patterning of winchester steel. I was shooting specklbellies in December and couldn't get a clean kill, went to #7 steels and waited until the geese where within 25yds and shot em in the head. I bought 3 boxes of 3" Federal #4 steel at christmas I have none left, I averaged a duck for every two shells expended. I love it almost as much as my lead, I have a few more cripples to clean-up sometimes but all in all I am happy with it. I'm gonna buy a case of it for next year.

Happy hunting,

Steve

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back