Bird dog questions

I am far from an expert, but I look at pedigree and health certs. Interested what others with more knowledge have to say.

EDIT, sorry for that rather generic answer. I was told once to not get to carried away looking past 2 generations. No idea if there is any merit to this suggestion.

Other things I looked at just after I lost GuNR were color, gender and location. I found some other interesting pups that were a little cheaper, but required a flight and then the cost difference was a wash. I had been following Rocky Point on FB for more than a year and really liked the dogs they were putting together. In my opinion, I was very lucky and not all the pups were spoken for before they were on the ground. I got the last male pick from litter. I believe all the females (IIRC 7)were sold before they hit the ground. First, third or ninth pick didn't bother me as I was paying for mom/dad/grandpa/grandma.
Sorry. I didn't know you lost him. Always enjoyed the pictures of him out there.

I'm biased, but I can't believe nobody has said springer spaniel. Great family dogs and a great nose for birds.

We ended up with a field bred springer because my wife decided they were the best looking. Shorter hair and a bit smaller than some springers at just over 40 lbs. Great dog for around the house, hiking and camping. Seems to have a great hunting drive and would probably be a great bird dog if he had a better owner.

IMG_20201213_113146436_HDR.jpg

If you are not looking for “show” quality looks, don’t be afraid to give your dog a very very short haircut.
When you do that, they hardly shed any hair!
We shave our Brittany every April and September. We let them carry the longer hair over winter months only.
A high quality dog clipper pays for itself in 2 cuttings!
Congratulations and enjoy your pup!

I enjoy German wirehairs. A couple years ago I winged a rooster and thought for sure it would get away. Then our groups GWP brushed by my legs in pursuit. I could see the pheasant jumping in the distance, then the dog jumping, then the pheasant, then the dog. Next thing I saw was the dog bringing it back! Will never forget that one

Last edited:
Biased. Witehaired pointing griffons. Pointer, close working, also water dog. I've had them for 30+ years. I've never met a Griffon that wasn't a lover!!! Good hair coat for cold weather.
The bad. Probably will spend 1500 to 2000.

Also keep in mind it may take time to get a puppy.
For example, I've always had female labs and usually have a youngster and an older lab.
I want a spring pup and start hunting pup that fall.

Go with a breeder, put down a deposit on a female, number 2 on the list...
there is only one female and that is picked by the number1 reservation.
Next year, I go with a breeder, having 2 litters, put down a deposit... I am number 1 on the list,
each litter is all males!
Finally the third spring, put down a deposit...I'm number 3 on a list, and there were 4 females in the litter,
so after waiting 3 years got a pup.

Not a big deal for me since I had other 2 labs at the time.

For example, I've always had female labs and usually have a youngster and an older lab.
I want a spring pup and start hunting pup that fall.

Go with a breeder, put down a deposit on a female, number 2 on the list...
there is only one female and that is picked by the number1 reservation.
Next year, I go with a breeder, having 2 litters, put down a deposit... I am number 1 on the list,
each litter is all males!
Finally the third spring, put down a deposit...I'm number 3 on a list, and there were 4 females in the litter,
so after waiting 3 years got a pup.

Not a big deal for me since I had other 2 labs at the time.
This process was a big shock to me when I was shopping for a pup (different breed). I got impatient and ended up with Hank. Same breeder and litter, just a male vs the female. Not a real big deal now, just not something I had experienced before.

I have a 10 year old son who wants a dog of his own. I want to get into bird hunting in eastern MT. Is there a breed out there that would make a good companion for my boy (laying around the house, following him around while he plays in the creek and builds forts) but would still point some pheasants every fall? Or are we talking about 2 different dogs here?
Since you are in Eastern Montana , I would highly suggest to call and talk to Jim O'shea with Flush'em High Kennels out of Glendive. We got three springers from him and they are all outstanding hunting dogs and great companiens in and out of the house.

This is a great point. I’ve already been in conversation with my buddy about another draht. I know I’ll get high priority, but breedings don’t always take either.

Labs are easy to train because they typically are eager to please the owner.
Plus all you need is a handful of bumpers and any park/playground/field to teach blind retrieves, etc.

My big complaint with labs is the constant licking. It's like I have to walk around with my hands over my head to keep them clean.

My big complaint with labs is the constant licking. It's like I have to walk around with my hands over my head to keep them clean.
That is not typical. This Lab I have now is a bit of a kisser but none of the others were bad for it. A little too much affection is better than too little.20210125_112007.jpg

Back