Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bird dog questions

One way I look at it: Labrador retrievers are dependent dogs. They depend on your interactions with them to make them happy.
Pointing breeds, in general, are independent dogs. They are happiest hitting cover and objectives to find birds for themselves. They are trained to then bring you along.
It ripples into all interactions with the dogs.
Labs are focused on what we can do together, pointers on what they can d o with or without you; they will let you tag along.

One way I look at it: Labrador retrievers are dependent dogs. They depend on your interactions with them to make them happy.
Pointing breeds, in general, are independent dogs. They are happiest hitting cover and objectives to find birds for themselves. They are trained to then bring you along.
It ripples into all interactions with the dogs.
Labs are focused on what we can do together, pointers on what they can d o with or without you; they will let you tag along.
Very good summary. I would include goldens and flat coated retrievers in the same partnering characteristic as Labs ... maybe springers though they are somewhat more wound up.

I would suggest attending a local NAVHDA training day. You'll get to see and interact with numerous "versatile" pointing dog breeds. There are lots of passionate and knowledgeable handlers/breeders in NAVHDA and likely numerous breeds that would fit the bill for you.

I personally have griffs and they're fantastic in both the home and field. Pudelpointers and large/small munsterlanders are other breeds I would consider. Best of luck to you!

I have a 10 year old son who wants a dog of his own. I want to get into bird hunting in eastern MT. Is there a breed out there that would make a good companion for my boy (laying around the house, following him around while he plays in the creek and builds forts) but would still point some pheasants every fall? Or are we talking about 2 different dogs here?
Lab! They listen and can be easy to train.

Buy him a German shorthair. It’ll be his best friend and he can take it hunting after any bird or waterfowl.
As someone who's spent a lot of time following GSP's around eastern MT, I'd say they're a perfect choice for upland - you really couldn't do much better. I personally do not think they make good waterfowl dogs this far north though. Mine are great swimmers and love to retrieve, so jump-shooting in moderate weather is okay, but asking them to sit still for extended periods with wet coats in severe cold is not realistic. Also, mine at least are basically perpetual motion machines, which doesn't work well in a blind.

All that being said, do you really need a retriever to hunt ducks in a prairie pothole environment? I go dogless all the time and it's not at all difficult to find good spots that aren't above your waders. Just walk out and pick them up, and carry swatters for cripples. If you get a dog that's great for cold-weather waterfowling, it's going to struggle in the uplands early season . . . tradeoffs all around, but it's a hell of a lot harder to point your own upand birds than to pick up your own ducks!

My pointing lab was never in his prime for upland until the highs were in the 30's even then if it was a south slope and the sun was out he could over heat himself pretty quickly. If it was 10 degrees and the wind was blowing he was good to go. Not sure about the mud in the prairie potholes but here in the cattails of Wisconsin you're gambling with a swim retrieving your own ducks!

I've only hunted mule deer in eastern Montana but always wanted to bring my dog with for grouse and pheasants. Seems about every time we bump into a good buck we had recently flushed a grouse.
How do you all keep your dogs from getting full of cactus thorns?

If you are not looking for “show” quality looks, don’t be afraid to give your dog a very very short haircut.
When you do that, they hardly shed any hair!
We shave our Brittany every April and September. We let them carry the longer hair over winter months only.
A high quality dog clipper pays for itself in 2 cuttings!
Congratulations and enjoy your pup!
This may work for a Brit, but it won't for most dogs. You'll ruin the coat of any wirehaired breed or any dog that has guard hairs.

Get a lab, they are 30-06 of dogs reliable and get the job done. But some people want something more rare or exotic with more power that you don’t need.

You can’t just buy one over night. Stay away from internet classified ads and buddies saying I bred my lab to friends lab. Most good labs like mine were sold out before they were born. Go to a training club and watch the dogs and ask a lot of questions. Those people are friendly and want dogs to go to good homes. Figure out what you want, don’t get hung up on stupid things like color. Look at accomplishments of parents in hunt tests or field trials, disposition and temperament of parents, and most of all the health clearances of the parents. You will probably pay around $1500 for a decent lab pup. If you think that is way too much for a dog than don’t ever buy a dog. My buddies back yard breeder lab has been on arthritis meds for elbow dysplasia for 6 years at 150 bucks a month. That was after it tore its ACL over $3000.

Now I am not saying because you buy one with health certificates nothing will happen, or that all back yard breeders pups will have trouble. But you want the odds in your favor. It’s crazy how on Facebook pups are selling for $900 and the people have no idea what they are doing. My friends wife was going to buy one. I said ask about EIC (exercise induced collapse) of the parents. The breeders had no clue what that was. So if both parents were fine but carriers a pup could be affected with that terrible condition. Enough rambling good luck. Seeley Lake hunter will like the grouse picture taken by Seeley Lake.

Attachments

• 8C39536C-1C38-4DAD-9312-0B3AFADB222D.jpeg
    8C39536C-1C38-4DAD-9312-0B3AFADB222D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 71AEB555-8087-4049-AE50-EF839509F4D8.jpeg
    71AEB555-8087-4049-AE50-EF839509F4D8.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
Update...

My son doesn’t know it, but he may be getting a dog. Some retired friends of ours are wanting to rehome their 4 year old lab because they want to travel more and can’t take him. The dog is coming to stay with us next week while they are out of town. My son just thinks he is dog sitting but if it works out, we are going to let him keep the dog.

The dog has hunted ducks, geese, and grouse. What can we do to train him as more of an upland dog (grouse and pheasants)?

Update...

My son doesn’t know it, but he may be getting a dog. Some retired friends of ours are wanting to rehome their 4 year old lab because they want to travel more and can’t take him. The dog is coming to stay with us next week while they are out of town. My son just thinks he is dog sitting but if it works out, we are going to let him keep the dog.

The dog has hunted ducks, geese, and grouse. What can we do to train him as more of an upland dog (grouse and pheasants)?
Don't worry too much. Labs are generally close working flushing dogs. You will be able to tell when he/she is "birdy." Get ready to shoot. You don't need a pointing dog to hunt uplands but if using a flushing breed, you will need it to work close. That's usually an inbred instinct with Labs but not always. Take it to greenspace and off leash. See how far it roams. If too far (which would be unexpected), seek training with e-collar.

Someone seems to have made himself at home.

Attachments

• 064615CB-EC45-41F4-A409-3CF4D2410A38.jpeg
    064615CB-EC45-41F4-A409-3CF4D2410A38.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back