Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bird dog questions

Southern Elk

I have a 10 year old son who wants a dog of his own. I want to get into bird hunting in eastern MT. Is there a breed out there that would make a good companion for my boy (laying around the house, following him around while he plays in the creek and builds forts) but would still point some pheasants every fall? Or are we talking about 2 different dogs here?

I’m partial to golden retrievers personally because I don’t care if they point as Long as they flush in range but a pointing lab is hard to beat for what your looking for.

These guys are pretty well known and close by. Never got a dog personally from them but I’ve hunted pheasants with a guy who had one and it was great family dog and pointer.

Last edited:
I’m partial to golden retrievers personally because I don’t care if they point as Long as they flush in range but a pointing lab is hard to beat for what your looking for.

These guys are pretty well known amd close by.

Agreed, but I'm a lab owner so I'm biased. There are more than one breed that can meet your requirements. Some of it is just personal preference imo.

We decided on a Griffon for many of the same reasons above, yes I want the thing to hunt birds and possibly be a shed dog as well, but they seem to a bit more mellow and very family oriented from what I have seen.

Make sure YOU want a dog. You'll likely be the main caretaker, regardless of the intention of your son, IMHO. I have a lab. They do it all well, but many good options out there. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone. To be honest, I didn’t know about pointing labs.

What about some of the other pointing breeds?

These guys are pretty well known and close by. Never got a dog personally from them but I’ve hunted pheasants with a guy who had one and it was great family dog and pointer.

I think the dad of our pup was from Trieven. Her mom was from Ponderay Goldens down in Douglas, Wyoming.

Buy him a German shorthair. It’ll be his best friend and he can take it hunting after any bird or waterfowl.

I’ve always had labs but decided this time to get a drauhthaar. I’ve been waiting awhile but I finally get to pick it up in a couple weeks. If your wanting a versatile dog I’d look at them.

I think for a kid's first dog, a Lab can't be beat. They are equally family and hunting oriented. As long as the dog lives with the family, it will be great in the field. Their attitude towards both simply cannot be beat. It's been said that Labs train themselves. That may be an exaggeration ... but only slightly! There's a reason why you almost never see a Lab wearing an e-collar ... and almost never see a pointing dog without one.

As to the supposed need for a pointing dog to hunt pheasants, that trait is greatly overrated ... and this from a guy who presently hunts with a fantastic pointing Lab. Flushing dogs will work just as well ... and much better later in the season, especially on public land. Once snow is on the ground roosters become noticeably more nervous, presumably because they're much more visible to predators, especially raptors. Then a close working flushing dog works best. A rangey pointing dog may find more birds (and that's a very big "maybe"), but a close working dog in those conditions will give you more shots. I am lucky to have a close working Lab who also points, something she developed on her own. It is a deadly combination! She was from a garage litter with good parentage but no specific pointing Lab blood that I know of. Also, it's more fun to watch a dog working next to you as opposed to hundreds of yards away. Easier to keep them out of trouble ... if you're close enough to actually see what trouble is in front of them (e.g. porcupines, skunks, and badgers). I can speak with some authority on the difference between pointing and flushing dogs because I now also run a pointing breed - French Brittany - but have been a dedicated Lab man since I was your son's age. Ellie is my sixth Lab.20210125_112007.jpg20201030_064702.jpg1004191452.jpg1129181400.jpg

Fine. I had my shorthairs in Michigan and Idaho. If it’s too cold for the dog, it’s too cold for your son.
A shorthair is not a good choice if his boy wants to hunt waterfowl in Montana. Also many pointing breeds are not great retrievers. Sure, you can pay some professional to twitch (pinch) the dog into becoming a passable retreiver, but why not get a pup from a breed that you know with confidence should be able to do everything right out of the chute? Again, the ability to point birds, while I'm thrilled that Ellie does it so well, is simply not that critical, especially if duck hunting is potentially in consideration (and if that boy ever knocks down a northern greenhead, he'll be hooked for good, I guarantee it).

I think the dad of our pup was from Trieven. Her mom was from Ponderay Goldens down in Douglas, Wyoming.
When I got my golden this past spring I had intended to get one started from them but they were over 1 year out on a field bred golden pup. When your pre selling a years worth of litters I imagine you are doing something right.

They do breed a lot more pointing labs and last I checked had started dogs in the 1500-2500 range.

A shorthair is not a good choice if his boy wants to hunt waterfowl in Montana. Also many pointing breeds are not great retrievers. Sure, you can pay some professional to twitch (pinch) the dog into becoming a passable retreiver, but why not get a pup from a breed that you know with confidence should be able to do everything right out of the chute? Again, the ability to point birds, while I'm thrilled that Ellie does it so well, is simply not that critical, especially if duck hunting is potentially in consideration (and if that boy ever knocks down a northern greenhead, he'll be hooked for good, I guarantee it)

Whatever. The kid is going to have a dog to love. If he wants to shoot a few ducks, his dog will retrieve them.

I guess I got lucky when my shorthairs retrieved ducks. I have duck hunted in Montana and didn’t see anything that would change my mind.

When I got my golden this past spring I had intended to get one started from them but they were over 1 year out on a field bred golden pup. When your pre selling a years worth of litters I imagine you are doing something right.

They do breed a lot more pointing labs and last I checked had started dogs in the 1500-2500 range.
My Lab cost me $400 five years ago. Zero dollars spent on professional training over fifty-five years of hunting with that breed. Never owned an e-collar, or whoa barrel, or check cord. Basic household obedience is enough. Their inbred hunting instinct and marvelous need-to-please disposition does the rest when you get to the field.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back