Caribou Gear Tarp

Binos vs. Riflescope

Which is a more important optic to upgrade first?

• Binoculars

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • Riflescope

Votes: 22 19.6%

• Total voters
I can't understand how so many people have issues with scopes holding zero.

I imagine it's related to the influx of hundreds of thousands of cheap and cheaply made south Asian optics sold by big box stores and other large retailers. These days, shops where you can get a fair deal on a quality product that will last for decades of use are hard to find.

I was in Dick's getting a set of running shoes this week, and there wasn't a single riflescope in that place I'd trust to take a shot on an animal of a lifetime at the end of a tough backcountry hunt... could probably spot stuff just fine with some of the mid-to-low level binos they have, though.

Thanks for the input everyone, super interesting to see everyone's opinions and a lot of very good points raised!

So my understanding is that we would be upgrading optics so assumption is the existing optics are functional…than that’s simple. Binos are a no brainer. You can’t shoot what you don’t find

That is a tough call, I like and use both. But if I were to say one over the other, I would opt for binoculars first, as I have shot lots of game with old guns and iron sights. I never shot at anything I didn’t see, and a good set of binoculars will assist you there more than the scope on a rifle…

I’m in agreement with harley. I never really used binos until I started hunting the west. Now I use them at home every hunt.

That said, most everyone here is hunting the west, so binos.

My cheap Vortex scope on my favorite deer gun hasn’t lost zero since I zeroed it. I still check though.

Which to upgrade first depends a lot on your starting point. If I had $100 binos and $100 scope, the binos are improving my game about fourfold over nothing, whereas the $100 scope is a liability and worse than a peep sight IMO. Definitely scope first.

If you have a $400 binos and scope I think you’re better off upgrading the binos. Personally, I have a VX-2 scope ($350) which works perfectly fine for me. I don’t really understand what a more expensive scope would do for me.

the $100 scope is a liability and worse than a peep sight IMO.

Absolutely. Most people don't realize how common optical failures are. Go to any public range the week before a general firearms opener and watch how many people are checking their zero, making adjustments to bring their point of impact to center, and then calling it good to hunt. This is similar to finding an "low oil pressure" light in your car, pulling the fuse to the light and then taking it on a cross country road trip.

For me, wounding and losing the animal of a lifetime is much worse than not seeing him in the first place.

I think spotter and riflescope is interchangeable here. I think it depends on the hunt too. If it’s a sheep or goat hunt for sure spotter.
I've killed 4 bighorn rams and a mountain goat without the use of a spotter.

The first scope that I put on a rifle was a 3-9x40 Tasco that I put on my first centerfire rifle, a .30-06 in 1967. That rifle and scope killed a lot of deer, antelope, elk, moose, and even my mountain goat over the years, and I know that I upgraded my binoculars at least three times in that period.

I now have Leupold VX scopes on all of my hunting rifles and don't forsee any reason to change any of them.

I bought my current Nikon binoculars after my New Zealand hunt in 2014 and I am very happy with them.

I just upgraded my spotting scope for the second time since I got my first one, a Bushnell, back in the late '70s. My current upgrade is a Leupold SX-2 20-60x80 that I think will be all that I will ever need.

I've killed 4 bighorn rams and a mountain goat without the use of a spotter.

The first scope that I put on a rifle was a 3-9x40 Tasco that I put on my first centerfire rifle, a .30-06 in 1967. That rifle and scope killed a lot of deer, antelope, elk, moose, and even my mountain goat over the years, and I know that I upgraded my binoculars at least three times in that period.

I now have Leupold VX scopes on all of my hunting rifles and don't forsee any reason to change any of them.

I bought my current Nikon binoculars after my New Zealand hunt in 2014 and I am very happy with them.

I just upgraded my spotting scope for the second time since I got my first one, a Bushnell, back in the late '70s. My current upgrade is a Leupold SX-2 20-60x80 that I think will be all that I will ever need.
Nice. I was thinking for more of validating legality with the spotter. Some hunts require that you shoot a certain age ram or a full curl, so I thought of using the spotter to count the rings. Sadly my eyes aren’t the best so using 12x binos from afar won’t be good enough for me.

That being said I’ve never sheep or goat hunted so I can’t really speak intelligently on the topic.

Binos
Spotter
Riflescope
Rangefinder

You’ll only use the scope a few seconds a year. It needs to perform but money should be spent elsewhere. If you have the first two Grade A, then upgrade your riflescope.
Thermal spotter;)
Binos
Spotter
Rifle scope
Rangefinder

Sorry I had to say it @brymoore :ROFLMAO: excellent at spotting manure!

Thermal spotter;)
Binos
Spotter
Rifle scope
Rangefinder

Sorry I had to say it @brymoore :ROFLMAO: excellent at spotting manure!
My reply would be completely different in Devon. I’d have a very serious riflescope to gather light for the last hour of shooting after dusk.

Thermals make binoculars after thoughts too.

Nice. I was thinking for more of validating legality with the spotter. Some hunts require that you shoot a certain age ram or a full curl, so I thought of using the spotter to count the rings. Sadly my eyes aren’t the best so using 12x binos from afar won’t be good enough for me.

That being said I’ve never sheep or goat hunted so I can’t really speak intelligently on the topic.
My bighorn rams were from Montana's unlimited units where they were required to be 3/4 curl or greater. I shot all of them at 200 or less yards. One was full curl, the others were 7/8 curl so I didn't have any difficulty verifying the 3/4 curl requirement with my 8 or 9x binoculars.

I shot my Dall ram in Canada's MacKenzie Mountains on a guided hunt, and my guide and I had each had 8 or 9x binoculars. We spotted my Dall ram at a little over 400 yards, and as he was a little over full curl and had almost a sagging belly, there was no doubt that he was legal. We stalked in to 206 yards for my shot.

I imagine it's related to the influx of hundreds of thousands of cheap and cheaply made south Asian optics sold by big box stores and other large retailers. These days, shops where you can get a fair deal on a quality product that will last for decades of use are hard to find.

I was in Dick's getting a set of running shoes this week, and there wasn't a single riflescope in that place I'd trust to take a shot on an animal of a lifetime at the end of a tough backcountry hunt... could probably spot stuff just fine with some of the mid-to-low level binos they have, though.

Thanks for the input everyone, super interesting to see everyone's opinions and a lot of very good points raised!
Chinas taking over the world

It’s going to depend on your hunting style, range, and etc. Someone like me hunting from a stationary stand in thick timber is going to have a different answer than someone spending hours behind glass searching large areas at long range. Binoculars are nice for watching game but certainly not necessary for me.

Saw this on monstermuleys. it's a very good deal for somebody who is looking for excellent binoculars at that price point.

My dad gave me my first rife in 78 when I was twelve and I bought my second in my early 20's. Both of those rifles have the original scopes still today.
Binoculars I have upgraded many time, and have never been disappointed with an upgrade.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back