PEAX Equipment

Binos vs. Riflescope

Which is a more important optic to upgrade first?

• Binoculars

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • Riflescope

Votes: 22 19.6%

• Total voters

oxn939

Interested in the collective opinion on this, as I've seen and heard recommendations on this topic recently that seemed confusing. When someone is either upgrading their optics suite for the first time or getting into hunting, which of these categories is a higher priority to spend money on and get a really good optic?

Definitely Binoculars. Having poor quality optics in both binoculars and a scope over the years, my hunting improved the most with the binoculars.

Very interesting results- currently 7 of 9 votes for binos first.

In the vein of transparency, I have a hard time understanding that perspective. If your binos fail, you still may very well have a successful hunt- I spotted my Nevada Pronghorn this year with my naked eye. If your riflescope goes down, though, it's almost always a very big deal, ranging anywhere from catastrophic miss-of-a-lifetime to delaying the hunt one or several days to scramble for a replacement. Although it's only used briefly, but it surely plays the most critical role of any piece of an optics kit at a time when your binos are sitting in a pack or a chest rig.

Appreciate all the input and opinions!

Sure glad I didn't know all this when I was first hunting. Times change and so have I. Binos first. Can't hunt what you can't find. Besides, what's the percentage of hunters that ever dial? We need a poll. I hate polls. mtmuley

I actually asked myself this same question this week. What I came to the conclusion of is that I looked through my nocks more than actually pointing the gun at an elk…… so I have some Vortex UHDs coming this week.

Sure glad I didn't know all this when I was first hunting. Times change and so have I. Binos first. Can't hunt what you can't find. Besides, what's the percentage of hunters that ever dial? We need a poll. I hate polls. mtmuley
I wish I would have. I messed around trying to figure out how to make a scope and rifle combo hold zero for years as a young hunter.

Binos
Spotter
Riflescope
Rangefinder

You’ll only use the scope a few seconds a year. It needs to perform but money should be spent elsewhere. If you have the first two Grade A, then upgrade your riflescope.
I think spotter and riflescope is interchangeable here. I think it depends on the hunt too. If it’s a sheep or goat hunt for sure spotter.

I wish I would have. I messed around trying to figure out how to make a scope and rifle combo hold zero for years as a young hunter.
I have a rifle with one of those Bushnell scopes that have a dial. I bought the rifle in 1990. The dial broke and fell off. Didn't use it anyway. Both of my kids pounded deer and antelope with it. A friend killed two elk with it. Still holding zero today. I can't understand how so many people have issues with scopes holding zero. I still have my first rifle topped with a Weaver K4. It held zero for years. mtmuley

I have a rifle with one of those Bushnell scopes that have a dial. I bought the rifle in 1990. The dial broke and fell off. Didn't use it anyway. Both of my kids pounded deer and antelope with it. A friend killed two elk with it. Still holding zero today. I can't understand how so many people have issues with scopes holding zero. I still have my first rifle topped with a Weaver K4. It held zero for years. mtmuley
I think we’re in agreement, and I don’t know. I have a mid 90’s VariX-II and some fixed 6x’s that held zero. A couple post 2000s variable Leupolds have not, as well as several Vortex that I have troubleshot for on friends rifles.
People who are into such things say that every optic design has a failure rate, and that many currently popular scope manufacturers are willing to accept a pretty high one as long as sales remain high. Seems believable.

I think we’re in agreement, and I don’t know. I have a mid 90’s VX-II and some fixed 6x’s that held zero. A couple post 2000s variable Leupolds have not, as well as several Vortex that I have troubleshot for on friends rifles.
People who are into such things say that every optic design has a failure rate, and that many currently popular scope manufacturers are willing to accept a pretty high one as long as sales remain high. Seems believable.
The early V-X2 scopes were highly underrated. I buy them when I can. mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back