Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another Bino Opinion Thread

Qubo

My birthday is the start of archery season this year and I'm thinking of asking the wife to get me some new binos. I'm by no means a glass snob and I'm still fairly novice to western hunting (3 seasons) and new to spending big money on hunting gear. But I'm getting better at "buy once cry once". I both archery and rifle hunt and hunt deer, elk, and antelope. All in Colorado. I have a spotting scope I take for all rifle hunting and archery mule deer so I'm set on 10x42s. Currently use some $100ish Bushnells. I'd say I'm only really interested three brands. Leupold because I love my VX-5 scope, and Maven and Meopta based off everyone saying their quality for price is amazing. Not really interested in the other euro glass. Don't really know much about them honestly though.

First decision is between spending $300-$500 or $900-$1000. Higher may have to wait a year if I wan't that, but I can wait if it's worth it.
$300-$500
Leupold BX-4
Maven C1
Meopta Optika
$800-$1000
Luepold BX-5 Santiam
Maven B1
Meopta Meostar

I've been crushing hard on Maven for the last year since I discovered them but I love Leupold as a company and its the only brand I have actual experience with and probably the only ones I could test out in person. And I am open to Meopta because of what people say about them here. While I was leaning towards the Mavens in both price points because they are normally the cheapest I did see Eurooptic has the camo Santiams on sale for $849.99 so while normally the most expensive of those three they are now the cheapest. I also have heard there is an optics guy on here with great prices if you contact him, can't remember the name, and I'll contact him before final decision, but don't know what prices I can get.

So are these all pretty equal and I should get the cheapest in either price point or is one worth more? I would like opinions on both which price point to go with and which bino in each price point is best in your opinion.
Thanks for any help.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and went with the Theron Questas from @schmalts. I have been very happy with them on my scouting trips. I was in a similar situation as I had only used cheap Nikons previously, and the difference is night and day.

I would get the Meostars hands down. I feel they are amazing glass for the money. I have a pair of the 12x50s and I really like them.

Q, I can add $0.02. You probably already know that to a certain extent, you get what you pay for. Buy as much as you can afford. It’ll help keep you from looking toward your next upgrade.

I've looked through a lot of different glass and I haven't seen any $300-500 glass that compares to the stuff you can get for about 1k. Of the ones you listed I'd get the Meopta Meostars hands down. For basically the same price you can get Zeiss Conquests, which are very good optically at that price. Were it me I'd look through the Meostars and Conquests side by side and make a decision.

Ok great. Lots of support for the Meostars. After some looking it seams I can get the BX-5s and Meostars for within less than $100 of each other and both much cheaper than the Mavens. I'm leaning towards the Meostars based on everyone here. Only hesitation is that the Meostars use Schmidt prisms and it seams the BX-5s use Abbe prisms. I'm still waiting on clarification from Leupold that the 10x42s do though. I don't know a ton about binos but should I consider the Leupolds if they have the Abbe prisms? Or are the Meostars so amazing it doesn't matter?

I have the Meoptas and I love the glass but I'm not a big fan of the lens caps teathered to the binoculars. They are loose and tend to come off easy. I really like Leupold scopes but I'm not a fan of their binos. For some reason I get a lot of glare looking through them. But everyone's eyes are different.

I'm not a big fan of the lens caps teathered to the binoculars. They are loose and tend to come off easy.
Ditto; a big nuisance. Took them off my Swarovski 10x42 ELs.

Got a response from Leupold. The 10x42s do not have Abbe prisms. So probably going to be the Meoptas. I did get a hold of schmalts. Definitely going to buy from him. I just have to convince the swmbo. Lol. I’m not worried about eye cups. I run a MR bino harness so I take the cups off. Thanks for the help.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Meostars through schmalts but thought I'd ask one more question. Anybody use the Meopta warranty? I'm still considering the Leupolds. I know both brands offer lifetime. But I like the idea of dealing with an American company compared to a Czech company's American branch if I have issues. I'm nervous about it being more hassle/giving me more grief about what exactly is covered.

Meopta has a very big distribution and assembly facility in the states, I’d be surprised if anything gets sent back to Czech.

I bought some Meostars from Schmalts once and when I got them the left barrel wouldn’t engage with the focus knob, within one day I had a prepaid packaging slip headed my way and a new pair of binoculars. Their warranty is top notch.

Meopta has a very big distribution and assembly facility in the states, I’d be surprised if anything gets sent back to Czech.

I bought some Meostars from Schmalts once and when I got them the left barrel wouldn’t engage with the focus knob, within one day I had a prepaid packaging slip headed my way and a new pair of binoculars. Their warranty is top notch.
Awesome. That’s great to hear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back