Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spotting scope vs binos

Scott85

I know I know not another one of these treads, but this one is different. Looking at the whole spotting scope vs bino debate and that is pretty much settled, or is it.

Lets say you have a limit of around $3,000 to $4,000 to spend on optics including tripod and head. The only thing I have now is a pair of 10-42 leupold binos. Would you go ahead and get the highend spotting scope and binos from vortex or get a set of 15-56 binos from swarovski and call it good until you get the money to save up and get a spotting scope? Thanks for the help!

I have the Bushnell 10 x 25 Trophy binoculars (Bak 4 prism) and would not trade them for anything. In my opinion, spotting scopes are an unnecessary tool providing no more viewing options than binoculars. When one is moving in mountainous terrain or even the lowlands, it is best to travel light. To spend that amount of money on optics only displays a need of weakness. Binoculars is all a hunter needs, nothing more.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I have the Bushnell 10 x 25 Trophy binoculars (Bak 4 prism) and would not trade them for anything. In my opinion, spotting scopes are an unnecessary tool providing no more viewing options than binoculars. When one is moving in mountainous terrain or even the lowlands, it is best to travel light. To spend that amount of money on optics only displays a need of weakness. Binoculars is all a hunter needs, nothing more.

They may work in the northeast. Not so much in the west.

I guess I'm weak. I didn't know. Any more insight on anything else, since you are obviously an expert.

Get some meopta binos and still get your nice spotter.

I've got swaros, my buddy has cabelas euro binos which are made by meopta. Buying again, I'd get the meopta.

With that budget you have some great options. Though I own some Vortex products and think certain Vortex products are a good buy, in your price range I would choose other brands. You didn’t list what model Leupold binos you have so I’m not sure how nice they are. If I were you I would buy a used Swaro 65mm spotter (Texas Binoman has an STS HD 65 for $1750, for example) then make the decision whether your 10x42s are comparable to your eyes next to current binos in the $1k range like 10x42s from Maven, Meopta, Zeiss, Leica, or Vortex. If the Leupolds work, buy a nice set of 15x56s from Meopta or Swaro. If the Leupolds aren’t up to snuff then invest in a nice set of 10x42s instead of the 15s. IMO you should have a nice set of all around binos like 10x42s before you invest in a set of nice 15x56s.

That advice is based off of someone that hunts similar to the way I and a lot of Hunttalkers do. Lots of hiking, lots of tripod glassing. If you’re more of a truck hunter or someone who uses horses or something then maybe choose an 80mm spotter over the 65mm.

With that budget you have some great options. Though I own some Vortex products and think certain Vortex products are a good buy, in your price range I would choose other brands. You didn’t list what model Leupold binos you have so I’m not sure how nice they are. If I were you I would buy a used Swaro 65mm spotter (Texas Binoman has an STS HD 65 for $1750, for example) then make the decision whether your 10x42s are comparable to your eyes next to current binos in the $1k range like 10x42s from Maven, Meopta, Zeiss, Leica, or Vortex. If the Leupolds work, buy a nice set of 15x56s from Meopta or Swaro. If the Leupolds aren’t up to snuff then invest in a nice set of 10x42s instead of the 15s. IMO you should have a nice set of all around binos like 10x42s before you invest in a set of nice 15x56s.

That advice is based off of someone that hunts similar to the way I and a lot of Hunttalkers do. Lots of hiking, lots of tripod glassing. If you’re more of a truck hunter or someone who uses horses or something then maybe choose an 80mm spotter over the 65mm.

Thank you for the insight. My leupolds are on the cheaper end, they are Acadia. I am not a truck hunter or someone who uses horses. I was looking at viper binos and spotter. Thanks again, its just a hard decision with that much money on the line. I will look into everything you said.

I know I know not another one of these treads, but this one is different. Looking at the whole spotting scope vs bino debate and that is pretty much settled, or is it.

Lets say you have a limit of around $3,000 to $4,000 to spend on optics including tripod and head. The only thing I have now is a pair of 10-42 leupold binos. Would you go ahead and get the highend spotting scope and binos from vortex or get a set of 15-56 binos from swarovski and call it good until you get the money to save up and get a spotting scope? Thanks for the help!
It obviously depends on what your eyes prefer and where/what you're going to be hunting.
For me I could happily hunt the rest of my life under your budget:

Gitzo mountaineer: $550
700 RC2 head: $80
Swarovski ATS/STS 65mm demo or used: $1900 or less
Swarovski 10x42 SLC HD demo: $1500
=$4,030

To save a few bucks, swap out the binos for 10x42 Victory T* FL: $1000 or less
=$3,530

I'll pass on the Vortex personally.

It obviously depends on what your eyes prefer and where/what you're going to be hunting.
For me I could happily hunt the rest of my life under your budget:

Gitzo mountaineer: $550
700 RC2 head: $80
Swarovski ATS/STS 65mm demo or used: $1900 or less
Swarovski 10x42 SLC HD demo: $1500
=$4,030

To save a few bucks, swap out the binos for 10x42 Victory T* FL: $1000 or less
=$3,530

I'll pass on the Vortex personally.

You know of any issues buying used or demo?

Some people have eyes, yet never see.

Elk hunting you may not need one depending on the terrain. In my experience, I don't know anyone who consistently hunts the west and puts multiple different types of animals on the ground who doesn't carry a spotter (terrain dependent of course). Maybe you have had different experiences. We'd love to hear them. I'd love to lose some pounds out of my pack. Tripods and spotters can be heavy.

I'm a big fan of the Viper line Vortex offers. They are worth the extra cash in my opinion. I couldn't justify the price increase for the Razors because the clarity and color weren't much better than the Viper (in my eyes). Having said that, they are not as good as some of the other brands mentioned above, but for the price, Vortex is hard to compete with. When I was searching, I picked up a pair of the Cabela's Euros(Meopta) and they were very nice. I could definitley see a difference from the Vipers, but wasn't ready to shell out 1K and they were a bit on the heavy side. The Swaros are by far the best I have looked thru, but much more expensive. Maybe one day I'll get me a pair of Swaros and convert my Vipers to a truck set.

Also, If you're looking for a rugged Tripod, Vortex offers the Pro GT for around $150. It's a bit on the heavy side, but it works very well in the field and will easily handle an 85mm scope.

You know of any issues buying used or demo?
I've had no issues personally. My primary binos since 2012 are demo Swaro's from Cameraland. They've been perfect...they needed a once-over so I sent them in to Swarovski a couple years back. A full cleaning, new focus knob, new eyecups and return shipping later they charged me $0. When even window shopping alphas from Zeiss and Swaro I don't even bother looking new, because I feel the demo's give you 100% of the product with no downside. I hesitate on Leica because of the well documented warranty hassles compared to Zeiss and Swarovski.

I am willing to take the chance on used and demo glass, if from a reputable seller. I can understand why someone could have hesitation though, it's just a lot of money.

Last edited:

In my opinion, the weakest people I meet are ones who are close-minded and throw insults at others who don't share their views. I'm glad we have people like yourself contributing to the forum. You certainly give me entertainment on a boring day.

Consider Maven. You could get a set of B1 or B2 binos and a spotter.

^^^ Both the Maven B1 and B2 are fantastic binoculars for the price. I've spent time behind each and they have a wow factor for sure. Great resolving power, solid FOV, and deal great with glare/direct sunlight. Also a top notch warranty.

Elk hunting you may not need one depending on the terrain. In my experience, I don't know anyone who consistently hunts the west and puts multiple different types of animals on the ground who doesn't carry a spotter (terrain dependent of course). Maybe you have had different experiences. We'd love to hear them. I'd love to lose some pounds out of my pack. Tripods and spotters can be heavy.

* That aspect could be consistent with extreme long range shooting. Exactly, what are the distances we're speaking, and are you alluding to the prairie lands and plains? The only time spotter scopes are required I shall not speak. What did the native Americans have or use that would suffice with the technology of this day?

What did the native Americans have or use that would suffice with the technology of this day?

Do you mean besides 365 day hunting seasons and the ability to spook tens to hundreds of animals off cliffs at a time? Maybe not much.

I find that my spotter seldom leaves the truck. I use my maven b.1 10x42s on a tripod and sometimes carry my 15x56 Meoptas if I'm looking really far.

Do you mean besides 365 day hunting seasons and the ability to spook tens to hundreds of animals off cliffs at a time? Maybe not much.

I find that my spotter seldom leaves the truck. I use my maven b.1 10x42s on a tripod and sometimes carry my 15x56 Meoptas if I'm looking really far.

Sorry, I overlooked the aspect of the 365 days a year. I'm unaware of the natives moving masses of animals off a cliff, especially when I studied history in college but I know not everything. I hunt on foot, never used atv's or trucks to preview the area. Basically, I follow the terrain, mostly mountainous, searching for signs,taking note of other predators, and watching the birds. This may be a crude way of hunting, yet many things can be learned by observation; similar to using a spotter BUT "up close and personal".

I would believe that those using spotters are looking long distance (plains or prairie land) and are not capable of moving on the ground or feel that the distances are too far. Why waste the time, right"? Let's use our trucks to observe, then try to approach from the rear to gain an advantage. I personally believe that hunting is far more valuable when knowing the lay of the land, rather than using technology to establish a kill. It is not what you have that makes a hunter but what the hunter knows. Thank you very much for your insight.

* I've never hunted the plains or prairie lands, mostly a mountain person and valleys.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back