Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

binoculars 10x or 8x

westernhunter98

hello I am buying a pair of vortex diamondbacks and am wondering if the 10x or the 8x are better for elk, mule deer, and pronghorn in Nevada?

binoculars 10x or 8x?

hello I am buying a pair of vortex diamondbacks and am wondering if 10x or 8x is better for hunting elk, mule deer, and pronghorn in Nevada?

western hunting 10x or 8x

I am getting a new pair of vortex diamondbacks and I am wondering if 10x or 8x binoculars will be better for elk, mule deer, and pronghorn in Nevada?

I have those in 10's. I would trade them for the 8's in a heart beat.

8's are much easier to hold steady and spot bodies with, while standing. The 10's are fine for when you are sitting in one spot and can rest yor elbows on your knees, but not so great for still hunting IMO. If you need to examine the animal any further, that's what your spotter is for.

I bought the Diamond Back 10's and they have done well for me. My wife has the Crossfire 8's and I honestly cant complain. You do get a larger picture with the 8's but you can pick apart the landscape with the 10's a little better.

I have those in 10's. I would trade them for the 8's in a heart beat.

8's are much easier to hold steady and spot bodies with, while standing. The 10's are fine for when you are sitting in one spot and can rest yor elbows on your knees, but not so great for still hunting IMO. If you need to examine the animal any further, that's what your spotter is for.
This seems to be the key factor - I prefer the 10x, but some people have trouble holding them steady enough so they prefer the 8x.

Last edited:
!5's on a tripod. If Your just starting out get 10's and a tripod. You Guys gotta remember if Your hunting the Southwest it is BIG OPEN COUNTRY. You need BiG binos and a tripod. I know IV'e said it 10 times but take it from experience. Jst trying to help the Kid..............BOB!

8x will collect more light. You'll need to increase the objective size with 10x in order to collect the same amount of light.

Neither will provide the magnification you need to size up an animal's antlers or horns. Binoculars are best for spotting game, and the best times for spotting game are at first and last light.

I'd go with 8x and then buy a spotting scope down the road to enable you to take a closer look at an animals head gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back