Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bill introduced to limit Nebraska Game and Parks from purchasing additional properties

Mixed emotions about that. So much private land is off limits, but, on the other hand, when land is purchased by the state, there is no tax being paid on it, so private land owners get even more of the burden. On the other hand, it does make for more open hunting land-that usually gets over-hunted. Pick your poison, but I see a bit on both sides of this.

Nebraska roughly ranks 48th in the country in terms of % of public land compared to total acres. Only about 0.5% of Nebraska is owned by the state, 1.5% is federal land. We do have a very high property tax rate, however, the Bill won’t move the needle for tax relief. It will only limit future public land opportunities.

P.S. Our tax relief opportunities are elsewhere.

Nebraska roughly ranks 48th in the country in terms of % of public land compared to total acres. Only about 0.5% of Nebraska is owned by the state, 1.5% is federal land. We do have a very high property tax rate, however, the Bill won’t move the needle for tax relief. It will only limit future public land opportunities.

P.S. Our tax relief opportunities are elsewhere.
Completely agree.

Mixed emotions about that. So much private land is off limits, but, on the other hand, when land is purchased by the state, there is no tax being paid on it, so private land owners get even more of the burden. On the other hand, it does make for more open hunting land-that usually gets over-hunted. Pick your poison, but I see a bit on both sides of this.

On the tax thing, what you stated is one of Farm Bureau’s favorite statements. Not trying to call you out, because this is a common misconception. It is correct they don’t pay taxes, but they pay “Payment in Lieu” which is equal to what the tax would be. Without even researching this bill I would bet good money that FB is pushing this garbage bill. Call your legislators and fight this thing.

Attachments

• FFD14807-B10E-44C1-8CA1-E6F63726D0C8.jpeg
    FFD14807-B10E-44C1-8CA1-E6F63726D0C8.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 7
I dont think you have to be Nostradamus to predict that population growth and development might create a situation where open recreational land becomes of greater value.
Seems short sighted to pass a law that prevents planing for the future by taking away a purchase option.

I see Nebraska is trying to ruin deer hunting too. I guess all the state’s issues must be solved if they’re wasting their time on these political favor type bills.
Thanks for sharing. LB 126 is a real nice one, over the past year the proponents have been advertising it as a way to compensate or give landowners a perk for crop depredation issues. Those arguing the loudest for it say something along the lines of, well we feed the deer all year and we lose all this potential revenue because of deer eating crops so we deserve a little thank you or a little perk.

Someone smarter than I am will have to explain to me how giving landowners free either sex permits in order to hunt deer a week earlier than the normal 9-day rifle season will solve any issues related to crop damage.

I should point out that Nebraska already has a statewide archery season that runs from 9/1-12/31. A statewide muzzleloader season that runs all of December. We also have special reduced price antlerless only tags that are valid on private land along a large majority of the main river corridors throughout the state (these were created to allow landowners a little more control in the highest deer density areas), these antlerless tags are good during any open season, there is no limit on how many you can buy, and they are valid during a short antlerless rifle season during October.

But dang it us landowners “deserve” these free permits and our own season.

On a potential positive, LB 126 was removed from the agenda during this past weeks natural resource committee session. So maybe there are some things going on behind the scenes. It sounds like it will be on the agenda for this week.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back