Big Two's

I did some Google research and confirmed that both parents contribute to antler growth. It is hard to say if the buck passes it on, because it is hard to determine 1) if is it genetic or environment, and 2) which parent had the greater weight in the magical chromosome mixture (apparently sometimes one parent has a greater weight than the contribution from the other parent). I guess the only way to tell is if the buck had a brother (same doe and buck parents) and what he looked like. Interesting in the original post that there were two that looked similar. Hmmmmm, interesting.. You would also have to see offspring of the original doe and another buck in future years to determine if she is passing it on, and ditto to the original buck. That should be clear as mud. I will let the biologists get on that study immediately and await their conclusion. ;)
Nature is fascinating in its randomness.

over here we have a red deer herd famous for missing brow tines,,hawaii has mouflon with twisted horn,,so id quess at genetics
one part there in the thoroughbred word the grey factor was virtually dyeing out and along came a super horse with the grey factor and the grey proliferated,,so genetics again

Resurrecting this thread for 2020 season....

We’ve watched this deer for the last 3 years. He was a "big" two the first year we saw him. As wide as his ears, and showed good potential, we thought. Since then, he’s never forked to be a 3 or a 4, and just gets more mass each year. This was the year to take him. All season long, we hadn't seen any other deer that I felt compelled to take, and I'd rather let the decent 4x4s grow another year. It was a satisfying and fitting end to the season, taking him as a cull, and feeling very fortunate to have spent 3 years seeing him and patterning him. It was a solo hunt to start, but my dad was able to join for company and help pack him out, so icing on the cake (he had Covid the last couple weeks.) Looks larger than life on his back!

Attachments

• 2 point 2020-2.jpg
    2 point 2020-2.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 12
  • 2 point 2020.JPG
    2 point 2020.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Love seeing forked muley's. Makes me feel better about my harvest this year! Didn't have a ton of time to hunt this season so took a forky.

Attachments

• 224D263F-044F-4B33-9E23-F7B2D270F8D0.jpeg
    224D263F-044F-4B33-9E23-F7B2D270F8D0.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back