Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Big tree thread

antlerradar

In an attempt to not completely hi jack the moving to WY thread I am posting up the picture of the big juniper in a new thread. Feel free to post up some pictures of other over sized trees or "shrubs"
As I remember this Juniper had a trunk circumference of a bit over 9 feet, was 40 feet tall and had lateral branches that were twenty feet long. My friend that works on the Custer thinks it may have broken the State Record but sadly it burned up in the 2000 Stag Rock fire before it could be officially measured.

juniper.jpg

Last edited:
That is a huge Juniper!

Here is the MT state record Black Cottonwood that I found many years ago. It didn't get officially measured and entered into the record book until 4-5 years ago when I brought my forester friend to see it. He measured it and turned it in to the state. Wish I had better pics, but it is in a very thick Cedar/Hemlock bottom.

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

A very close 2nd only a hundred yards away.
IMG_0461.jpg

I love big trees but have never felt the pic does them justice, and therefore don't have any pics. Plus most of my time cruising was in the rain so I never carried a cam. But I still remember the biggest doug fir I measured was 247' tall and the largest diam was a western red cedar over 18' at dbh, both out on the OP.

We found this giant the last time we hiked up near Pearl Peak in the Ruby's of NV. I would like to have seen how big this tree was when it was alive.
With my brother standing on the downhill side it was a couple of feet over his head and he is 6'1".
DSCN0876.JPGDSCN0877.JPG

I wish I had pictures but I don't. A really big Tan Oak will be maybe 3 1/2 to 4 feet in diameter. One day I found two of them, 8 1/2 feet diameter and 6 1/2 feet. Tan Oaks get their name because the bark has a lot of tannin in it and it was used to tan hides. The leaves also have a lot of tannin and the leaves of these two trees had been falling and rotting on the ground around the area for a few hundred years so the soil was completely sterilized by the acid. Absolutely nothing was growing on the ground anywhere near the trees. It looked like something out of a Fantasy movie. Two gigantic gnarly old oaks growing out in the middle of a dark forest with seemingly no life around them.

I love big trees but have never felt the pic does them justice, and therefore don't have any pics. Plus most of my time cruising was in the rain so I never carried a cam. But I still remember the biggest doug fir I measured was 247' tall and the largest diam was a western red cedar over 18' at dbh, both out on the OP.
A pretty good Doug Fir from the O.P.:

87B9A18B-DE94-460E-A2C8-D09B17E3CEA6.jpeg

Agree that pics don’t do these things justice.

I found a pretty big white pine in north Idaho this past spring but the pic doesn't look like anything special. No idea on measurements. Frequently end up stopping to admire big hemlocks, cedars or firs while stomping around the woods.

I think this pic I took at Sequoia NP in 2017 turned out ok on giving perspective of size once you see the people at the base of the 3 trees on the right. IMO Sequoia NP was way cooler than Redwoods.

IMG_20170612_113142.jpg

As a kid in the mid-'80's, I remember being on a field trip near the Oregon coast and having someone point out that we were following a truck carrying a single log load. I remember it really swayed going around the curves in the highway. Not a record or anything, but it was definitely a dying era. I don't even think the mills these days can handle logs that big. I look at what they pull out of the woods today, and I'm a little bit sad.

QQ

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back