Big Game opener

Nemont

Haven't even uncased my rifle for big game in couple of years. Still buy the tags but I guess the fire for big game has kind of dimmed for me for some reason. So instead of stalking bucks I opted to shoot some ditch parrots.

Left the House at 8 am and was done with our limit by 9 am. Living here doesn't suck

pheasants1_zpsnsefplcc.jpg

Biggest issue of the day is I have to hunt with a Griz fan. ;)
pheasants2_zpsxyocnaak.jpg

Hope everyone is staying safe out there.

Nemont

My big game days are closing out too. Although I got my antelope on the opener I am waiting in anticipation to pick up my new bird dog pup on friday. The rest of the fall/spring/summer will be spent with her and my 14 yr old setter. Getting acquainted and thinking about getting back to my real love, bird hunting.

I did about 25 miles this weekend looking for deer.

Although I have to admit I kinda wondered why... grin.

Travis

That is a great morning! I've heard the hatch in your neck of the woods was super. I may have to head that way in a couple of years once my soon to arrive pup gets me trained up.

A few years ago I was driving several hours home from a physically and mentally tough hunt. I have had some memorable hunts so as I am getting older I thought maybe was time to "retire" to easy hunting from my youth which is park at the edge of a soybean field and walk a few minutes to get in a tree stand to hunt whitetail bucks in the rut or hunt spring gobblers at the edge of the same field.

I called my brother and his response was for me to pick a hunt and he would go with me. I no longer hunt alone. Four hunts this year. Two with my brother and two with guides. I do not need the guides to have a nice hunt but one hunt is in grizzly country so my wife requested I not go solo and one is with an amusing guide I hunted with a couple of years ago that gives me another set of eyes as I try to spot coues deer.

Do I miss the times I headed down a trail solo with 90 pounds on my back? Only when I hear snoring. I am glad I experienced solo hunting. A tremendous challenge to hike in a few miles from a trailhead, outsmart a critter and then pack out 3 or 4 trips with heavy backpacks.

For me, my drive to put an animal on the ground has waned. I enjoy sharing the experience of the hunt and building in slack time to spend a couple of hours fly-fishing or writing postcards. I used to be all about go hard or go home. Not now. Just my observations and may not be relevant to anyone else.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back