Big Game opener

Nemont

Haven't even uncased my rifle for big game in couple of years. Still buy the tags but I guess the fire for big game has kind of dimmed for me for some reason. So instead of stalking bucks I opted to shoot some ditch parrots.

Left the House at 8 am and was done with our limit by 9 am. Living here doesn't suck

pheasants1_zpsnsefplcc.jpg

Biggest issue of the day is I have to hunt with a Griz fan. ;)
pheasants2_zpsxyocnaak.jpg

Hope everyone is staying safe out there.

Nemont

My big game days are closing out too. Although I got my antelope on the opener I am waiting in anticipation to pick up my new bird dog pup on friday. The rest of the fall/spring/summer will be spent with her and my 14 yr old setter. Getting acquainted and thinking about getting back to my real love, bird hunting.

I did about 25 miles this weekend looking for deer.

Although I have to admit I kinda wondered why... grin.

Travis

That is a great morning! I've heard the hatch in your neck of the woods was super. I may have to head that way in a couple of years once my soon to arrive pup gets me trained up.

A few years ago I was driving several hours home from a physically and mentally tough hunt. I have had some memorable hunts so as I am getting older I thought maybe was time to "retire" to easy hunting from my youth which is park at the edge of a soybean field and walk a few minutes to get in a tree stand to hunt whitetail bucks in the rut or hunt spring gobblers at the edge of the same field.

I called my brother and his response was for me to pick a hunt and he would go with me. I no longer hunt alone. Four hunts this year. Two with my brother and two with guides. I do not need the guides to have a nice hunt but one hunt is in grizzly country so my wife requested I not go solo and one is with an amusing guide I hunted with a couple of years ago that gives me another set of eyes as I try to spot coues deer.

Do I miss the times I headed down a trail solo with 90 pounds on my back? Only when I hear snoring. I am glad I experienced solo hunting. A tremendous challenge to hike in a few miles from a trailhead, outsmart a critter and then pack out 3 or 4 trips with heavy backpacks.

For me, my drive to put an animal on the ground has waned. I enjoy sharing the experience of the hunt and building in slack time to spend a couple of hours fly-fishing or writing postcards. I used to be all about go hard or go home. Not now. Just my observations and may not be relevant to anyone else.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back