Big ass elk.

Stan, what if that free ranging elk had've been shot on a fair chase lease by some working stiff? Would it matter then?

...careful now.
If I were on a TX lease hunting deer/hogs and a big o'le stinky bull that scored 455 walked by, I'd whack it. It wouldn't hold the same merit with me as an AZ,UT, NM etc....bull. Case being it most likely was a breeder at one of Tom's buddies pen's...But it'd get a euro spot on the wall..

Dinkshooter, what I read is that it was there on a mountain top type spot for 7-8 years with no fence but with one road up and down the mountain it was on. Its just not B&C because we have no season on elk here. If we had made a season and had tags, then B&C would consider it. For some reason, they are opposed to that? Anybody know why?

GWM, is that an AZ term? The others I recognized right off.

If I were on a TX lease hunting deer/hogs and a big o'le stinky bull that scored 455 walked by, I'd whack it. It wouldn't hold the same merit with me as an AZ,UT, NM etc....bull. Case being it most likely was a breeder at one of Tom's buddies pen's...But it'd get a euro spot on the wall..

OK, since the worm can is partially open, does the term 'client bull', regardless of geography, mitigate your definition of significant achievement? :D

Do outfitters ever lease land in AZ for hunting?

Not that I have ever heard of. And these are not small partials either that people pay to hunt on. 10s of thousands of acres with regular 3 strand fence. Its possible a particular rancher has an agreement with a particular outfitter. But none that I have heard of, and if anything worth talking about was shot on said property, the word would get out pretty quick.

Thanks Sturge, I know it's common in Colorado for large tracts adjacent to NF (ie: game funnels from public land pressure) to be contracted to the highest biddng outfitter...

There is just so much public land here with good herds, any outfitter would be stupid to limit himself to one ranch. I am not saying it nevers happens, but it is not the norm by any means. I know Vaqueros pretty much hunt the Oro ranch exclusively, but thats the only one I know of. And I am not sure how true that is to be honest.

OK, since the worm can is partially open, does the term 'client bull', regardless of geography, mitigate your definition of significant achievement? :D

The "client bulls" I've been involved with are usually earned. The majority of guys I've taken out are accomplished in the outdoors but lack knowledge of a specific area. Would it mean more to them if they were DIY? maybe but I've never asked.

Do outfitters ever lease land in AZ for hunting?

A few have access to private that the public and other outfitters do not have.

Sort of. Some pay a fee. It's not an exclusive lease. And anyone can pay to hunt it.

Actually the two outfitters that come to mind have exclusive rights to the property they "lease", more like a tresspass fee.

There is just so much public land here with good herds, any outfitter would be stupid to limit himself to one ranch. I am not saying it nevers happens, but it is not the norm by any means. I know Vaqueros pretty much hunt the Oro ranch exclusively, but thats the only one I know of. And I am not sure how true that is to be honest.

A few of these ranches are right in the middle of prime country. If the elk aren't on the private; it's a hop, skip and jump to the public or private with public access IE boquillas & Babbit ranches..........

Are there any parts of the Big B not open to the public? I thought it all was as long as you signed in.

Nope it's all open as far as I know. There are several small ranches that border the big B. A few outfitters have access that the public does not...

The "client bulls" I've been involved with are usually earned. The majority of guys I've taken out are accomplished in the outdoors but lack knowledge of a specific area. Would it mean more to them if they were DIY? maybe but I've never asked. (quote AZ)

Usually earned...would that not equivocate hunt success with geography and sweat equity...in your opinion?

be even more commendable if those same elk would swim the river and end up on my farm down there. and if they ever get a record book animal from these parts, and they have, its because of the agricultural areas we have around here. and the nutrients in the soil. west central illinois always produces some of the biggest bucks taken in the country. and now iowa, kansas, missouri are getting them also near the agricutural areas and waterways. mississippi river area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back