“Big 3” all from your home state

That's impressive nice work.

My uncle has 2 big 3s coupled with 2 bison too, all MT.

He's also got 15 goat points, he doesn't apply for moose or sheep anymore.
Congrats on your Big 3, all are very good animals! What state did you get them in?

The first year that I drew a goat tag I came over a ridge and there was a good billy on the other side below me. Everything that I had read said that goats don't look for trouble above them, so instead of just laying down and shooting him, I tried to get closer. My bad! He looked up and saw me and immediately he made 20' leaps down the valley then went up over the next ridge.

That was in knee deep snow. Going back up to the top of the ridge I took 10 steps then rested for 10 breaths all the way to the top. I went back down to my truck and the next morning there was another fresh foot of snow on the ground, so I went home. The Pintlers continued to get snow dumped on them that fall, so I ate that goat tag.

I was 37 when I completed my Big 3. Now at 75 I still put in for all 3, and each year I now wonder if I can still climb to the top of the goat mountains.

Congrats on your Big 3, all are very good animals! What state did you get them in?

The first year that I drew a goat tag I came over a ridge and there was a good billy on the other side below me. Everything that I had read said that goats don't look for trouble above them, so instead of just laying down and shooting him, I tried to get closer. My bad! He looked up and saw me and immediately he made 20' leaps down the valley then went up over the next ridge.

That was in knee deep snow. Going back up to the top of the ridge I took 10 steps then rested for 10 breaths all the way to the top. I went back down to my truck and the next morning there was another fresh foot of snow on the ground, so I went home. The Pintlers continued to get snow dumped on them that fall, so I ate that goat tag.

I was 37 when I completed my Big 3. Now at 75 I still put in for all 3, and each year I now wonder if I can still climb to the top of the goat mountains.
Not me amigo, my uncle has the accomplishments. All of which are MT. Maybe one day, still working on the ram and maybe they'll name for a Billy adventure.

I certainly have enjoyed reading your stories and expeditions. Congrats to you sir! Can't wait to hear what the future holds for you.

My friends grandpa just did his 6th goat hunt at 87 years old.

Moose and Mountain Goat in Colo
Moose and BHS in Idaho
Moose and hopefully BHS in Wyoming
All DIY public land

So that’s a long to answer to say zero of all big 3 in any state and more than likely no chance of doing it in my lifetime. Congrats to those that have done it or do it in the future.
I think the pinnacle of Big 3 is the three different bighorn in Nevada, and yes some have accomplished it.

For those that want pics. Below is the link to my Colo moose 2013. I did a thread on HuntTalk.

Last edited:
I have been lucky enough to harvest the Big 3 in Colorado and have actually done it 2x if you count females of the species for moose. My closest Big 3 was mt goat @ 28 miles from the house. My archery bull moose was 46 miles and my archery bighorn was 55 miles for a total of 129 miles as the crow flies.

Edit added pics for @Art Vandeley

Sandbrew

My best Big 3 -
2008 182 B&C sheep
2013 153 6/8 P&Y moose
2017 45 6/8 B&C mt goat

View attachment 204304
View attachment 204305

View attachment 204306

My "first" Big 3

2000 157 P&Y ram
2005 Cow moose
2009 mt goat
View attachment 204307
View attachment 204308
View attachment 204309

I'm 2/3 of the way there on my 3rd Big 3 with a sheep towards Big 3 #4 if you count females and would have had a female Big 3 but didn't fill my nanny tag this year.
2002 ewe
2020 cow moose
2021 mt goat nanny tag soup

2019 leftover solo ewe

View attachment 204313
View attachment 204312
View attachment 204314

View attachment 204315
I drew Colo moose the same year as Sandbrew in the exact same unit.

So would the big 3 for NV be:
Mtn goat, Nelson's bighorn, Cali bighorn?
Nelson's, Cali, Rocky?
A different version thereof?
I think it's big 4 here...and impossible to obtain.

Black bear, brown bear, grizzly, Moose, Muskox, blacktail, buffalo, and goat. Attached pic of solo goat hunt from september. hoping for dall Sheep next
Wow - what is the length/base of that goat? Looks like a relatively young billy with giant horns (like 11"?)

One complete, 2/3 of the second round is done, but it will have to be a cow as per regulation. 4 of the 5 with a bow but due to injury was forced to use a rifle on my OIL moose (bull). Still pisses me off about the timing of said injury... Have to use the recurve for a cow moose for extra credit I guess.

F29FBC2E-48FE-4312-9B7E-1446F6140FEC.jpeg803C6AE5-851F-44A2-9395-4773F33F533B_1_201_a.jpeg69CE2442-D6B3-43B9-8DFF-19972A18AD90_1_201_a.jpeg36D32F6D-C411-4C55-AB3A-AC483ECF480B.jpegF1555459-35C6-4469-B77A-0FE136A268E1.jpeg

So would the big 3 for NV be:
Mtn goat, Nelson's bighorn, Cali bighorn?
Nelson's, Cali, Rocky?
A different version thereof?
I think it's big 4 here...and impossible to obtain.
I've thought of this as well. I personally know one person who has taken a mountain goat and one a rocky. Know of a couple others for each I have had contact with through the years.

Certainly not impossible, I think a handful have accomplished it. Very few stay residents long enough and/or live long enough to get it done.

I've thought of this as well. I personally know one person who has taken a mountain goat and one a rocky. Know of a couple others for each I have had contact with through the years.

Certainly not impossible, I think a handful have accomplished it. Very few stay residents long enough and/or live long enough to get it done.
Think he is talking about me- goat and Nelson in NV. Think I have used up my good karma for a while.
Oh, NV has a growing moose population, I could see a limited (1-3 tags) in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
In my home state of Utah there are five OIL tags. Bison, Moose, Rocky Mt Goat, Rocky Mt. Bighorn, and Desert Bighorn. I don't know anyone that has been able to draw all 5 in a lifetime, especially since residents can only chose one OIL tag per year to put in for and accumulate bonus points for. I'm 72 and I've put in every year since I was 16. I've only drawn one, a desert bighorn and feel lucky I got him. Kudos to all who have had multiple opportunities!

Attachments

• Rick Ellison Utah Desert.jpg
    Rick Ellison Utah Desert.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
In my home state of Utah there are five OIL tags. Bison, Moose, Rocky Mt Goat, Rocky Mt. Bighorn, and Desert Bighorn. I don't know anyone that has been able to draw all 5 in a lifetime, especially since residents can only chose one OIL tag per year to put in for and accumulate bonus points for. I'm 72 and I've put in every year since I was 16. I've only drawn one, a desert bighorn and feel lucky I got him. Kudos to all who have had multiple opportunities!
Jeeze that’s a beautiful desert! Looks familiar. What did he score out of curiosity

Think he is talking about me- goat and Nelson in NV. Think I have used up my good karma for a while.
Oh, NV has a growing moose population, I could see a limited (1-3 tags) in the next 10 years.
Actually a friend here in my town has a goat and desert and bull elk. Another person I know has a rocky. I forgot about your goat -thought it was Alaska.

I was thinking of big 3 in Nevada.
But couldn't come up with a list that makes sense because the draws are so tough.

Moose would be cool....

Soon....

Back