Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Biden Announces Lead Ammo/Lure Ban Across Eight National Wildlife Refuges by 2026

Who cares? I’ve shot steel for decades. Use modified or improved modified.
I’m so pre-programmed by Rockefeller’s public school system that I didn’t even bat an eye 4 or 5 years ago when I started hunting and read the rules and regs for the state park and they said no lead.
I assumed it was just for the environment or Something and grabbed some upland faststeels.
Shot a couple boxes through the 500 with the full choke in.
Still seems to work 🤷‍♂️

brockel, what bullet did you use before Berger became the holy grail? mtmuley
Accubonds and ballistic tips. Mostly ballistic tips. Would still probably be shooting them if they were readily available like they use to be

brockel, what bullet did you use before Berger became the holy grail? mtmuley
Tipped hammers have me intrigued but at $90 shipped per 50 it’s REALLY going to cut into my shooting through the summer. There would be a lot more rocks that survive the summer that’s for sure

I’ve been running kicks extra full chokes for snow geese for over 15 years in Beneli SBE 2&3 with steel without a problem. Killed a plenty out to 70 yards.
My carlsons extra full turkey says on the box it’s fine to use with steel but they recommend #4 or smaller. I’ve shot a lot of 3.5in BB out of my mossberg with a full choke with no issues… pattern is way to tight for decoys but great for jump shooting.

My carlsons extra full turkey says on the box it’s fine to use with steel but they recommend #4 or smaller. I’ve shot a lot of 3.5in BB out of my mossberg with a full choke with no issues… pattern is way to tight for decoys but great for jump shooting.
I had a 26” barreled browning gold hunter with a kicks extra full that I ran 3.5” bb thru on the Grey lodge “firing line”. If the triggers gold they will fold! Lol. Put the 1k rifle shooters to Shame whackin geese at

Fwiw I’m still tryin to figure out why the government is is hell bent on regulating lead in fish and game when they are perfectly ok mandating injecting mercury and aluminum in kids

Last edited:
Just like the choice I have now between the two, I cannot stand the government telling me what my options are. SO far its only back east.

I use both copper and lead. Depends on gun and purpose. MY CHOICE
There have always been government restrictions.
For example, waterfowl hunting limited to 10 gauge or smaller, 3-shot maximum, non-toxic shot, etc.

Big game hunting limited to daylight hours, seasonal bag limit, bucks only, branch antlered bulls only, minimum and maximum caliber, etc.

In Alaska for most species can not hunt same day airborne.
Can not use a machine gun, set gun, or shotgun larger than 10 gauge.
Can not use a salt lick to attract moose or deer.
Can not use a helicopter for hunting or for transporting hunters, hunting gear, game meat, trophies, or any equipment used to pursue or retrieve game.
Can not use laser sights or drones or moose urine or electronic moose calls.

Can not bow hunt unless
»the bow is at least:
- 40 pounds peak draw weight when hunting caribou, wolf,wolverine, black bear, Dall sheep, and deer;
- 50 pounds peak draw weight when hunting mountain goat,moose, elk, brown bear, muskox, and bison;
»the arrow is at least 20 inches in overall length, tipped with abroadhead, and at least 300 grains in total weight;
»the broadhead is a fixed, replaceable or mechanical/retractable blade type and not barbed.

Can not hunt deer with dogs.

Can not hunt sheep, mountain goat, or muskox using domestic goats or domestic sheep as pack animals.

Rams must be full curl, broomed on both sides or at least 7 years old.
Moose most have 4 brow tines or 50 inch spread in some units.

Fwiw I’m still tryin to figure out why the government is is hell bent on regulating lead in fish and game when they are perfectly ok mandating injecting mercury and aluminum in kids

Thimerosal has been eliminated from childhood vaccines, it’s not in the Covid vaccine, today it’s typically only in the flu vaccine and even then the flu vaccine is available without it.

I wouldn’t rely on Facebook for this kind of information. All vaccines just like anything else approved by the FDA have to publish the ingredients you can easily look them up if you’re curious.

For example, waterfowl hunting limited to 10 gauge or smaller, 3-shot maximum, non-toxic shot, etc.

Big game hunting limited to daylight hours, seasonal bag limit, bucks only, branch antlered bulls only, minimum and maximum caliber, etc.

Can not use a helicopter for hunting or for transporting hunters, hunting gear, game meat, trophies, or any equipment used to pursue or retrieve game.

Can not bow hunt unless
»the bow is at least:
- 40 pounds peak draw weight when hunting caribou, wolf,wolverine, black bear, Dall sheep, and deer;
- 50 pounds peak draw weight when hunting mountain goat,moose, elk, brown bear, muskox, and bison;
»the arrow is at least 20 inches in overall length, tipped with abroadhead, and at least 300 grains in total weight;
»the broadhead is a fixed, replaceable or mechanical/retractable blade type and not barbed.

Can not hunt sheep, mountain goat, or muskox using domestic goats or domestic sheep as pack animals.

Sounds like government overreach to me.😉

Indiana DNR requires nontoxic shells to hunt their state game areas and some are managed for doves. Since I can't legally shoot doves in michigan, I've been dragging my son and nephews down for almost a decade to these. They love it. The last few years they've been able to shoot which is great.

They impose a 50 shell limit to reduce skybusting. While there will always be lost game regardless of ammo, the amount of crippled birds at these events is staggering. I had a CO watch me "poof" a dove three times (25-35 yards) while checking licenses only to have that bird fly completely out of the field. He was the first to say, "steel sucks, doesnt it? But rules are rules."

We all want our kids to succeed, so why not give them the tools? Bismuth is a legal option, and some good stuff is loaded right here in michigan. Last year my brother loaded his boys up with the good stuff. Yeah, it works...but I'm not in a spot to drop $700 for ammo for two days of dove shooting. I told my son I love him, but not for a 1.75/round to shoot at doves.

While it will never happen, I hope and pray this crap comes to an end. Just let a poor man be!!

Can not bow hunt unless
»the bow is at least:

I get all the safety issues. Here is my complaint. I get the non lead on waterfowl as most of the lead falls into the water or surrounding areas and does not penetrate the ground. Have no issue. But lead bullets do not. Most hunters will never fire a round during hunting season. If they do the higher % will hit the target with the projectile left inside said animal. A miss will not just lay on the ground. If we are concerned about lots of lead on public land then stop recreational shooting except in designated areas. Most of all the problems on federal land ( non HT'ers) are people shooting hundreds and hundreds of rounds, leaving trash, starting fires, etc.

All of the issue you list above are ethical issues which I agree 1000%. My issue is around claiming that lead bullets are destroying the world because of poisoning.

The quotes are telling. It's the guns & ammo lobbyist, and the lobbyist for guys who shoot stuff in Africa.

I got no problem with leadfree on wildlife refuges. If going lead free is what's stopping you from hunting, cut back on some avocado toast and $5 lattes.

Or buy one less Yeti product a year.

Where are you still finding lattes for $5?

Back