Biden Administration stops ANWR development

BHR, you are bringing me down man. Show some optimism. I am however impressed by your google search of electricity production by source. I feel we are making some progress. :)
Y
our assumption is that all sources are operating at peak capacity and all energy used to generate electricity is consumed as electricity. The reality is a considerable amount is lost in the conversion process and transmission. Problems, yes, but solvable.
I understand that a lot of electricity is lost in transmission and a local distribution system makes far more sense if we were starting from scratch. Getting rid of all those ugly transmission lines would be awesome from a purely aesthetic point of view. So get cracking on those industrial scale electrical storage ideas so we can cut the cord. Time is wasting.

BHR, quit bitchin', we gonna wifi that 'lectric' chit to our propane TV's any day now....get with the correct policy or get your post Boomer azz cancelled.

BHR, quit bitchin', we gonna wifi that 'lectric' chit to our propane TV's any day now....get with the correct policy or get your post Boomer azz cancelled.
Come to think of it, all these roads and highways that we waste money on are ugly too. When do I get my George Jetson air scooter like we were promised?

Next gen nuclear is the only viable option - every thing else is subsidized chrony capitalism and feel good stories that can't come even close to proving full engery to 8 billion people. Folks need to stop thinking 3-mile island and understand what a boon to the economy and environment these next gen options present. Their potential blows away the lifecycle footprint of all the competing options. Especially when a lot of the cost is self inflicted regulatory and delay costs. If you just focus on the install and operation costs they are even a better value. And we keep killing it for non-scientific reasons - for example, there was a lot of promise in TerraPower's next gen but it got killed over the China trade war - so now China is doing it without us - way to go USA.

Coming from Alaska this really is pretty crappy. And most folks from Alaska that I know say the same. This isn't going to have the massive negative affect that many are saying it will have. This is a pretty unfortunate occurance.

Here is a great article I read:

Right now gasoline taxes pay for roads, EV vehicles do the same amount of damage that ICE cars or trucks do... but under current regs they don't pay a cent.
Many states, including both UT and NC where I’ve had my EV registered, charge a premium on annual registration. Both were about $100/year, but UT increased theirs in 2020 and there’s a bill current in the House to increase it to $300. The whole idea is get the revenue for road maintenance lost in us not paying fuel tax at the pump.

Coming from Alaska this really is pretty crappy. And most folks from Alaska that I know say the same. This isn't going to have the massive negative affect that many are saying it will have. This is a pretty unfortunate occurance.

Here is a great article I read:

IMHO and has stated in early comments it's about the $$$, at this point ANWR is a black eye.

On a total production basis I'm not even sure Alaska will even be in the top 5 states most affected by the Biden administrations polices. We shall see.

Many states, including both UT and NC where I’ve had my EV registered, charge a premium on annual registration. Both were about $100/year, but UT increased theirs in 2020 and there’s a bill current in the House to increase it to $300. The whole idea is get the revenue for road maintenance lost in us not paying fuel tax at the pump.
I have no worry that the government will fall asleep at the wheel when it comes to extracting tax dollars from its people. The gov will get paid.

IMHO and has stated in early comments it's about the $$$, at this point ANWR is a black eye.

On a total production basis I'm not even sure Alaska will even be in the top 5 states most affected by the Biden administrations polices. We shall see.
Fair enough

Next gen nuclear is the only viable option - every thing else is subsidized chrony capitalism and feel good stories that can't come even close to proving full engery to 8 billion people. Folks need to stop thinking 3-mile island and understand what a boon to the economy and environment these next gen options present. Their potential blows away the lifecycle footprint of all the competing options. Especially when a lot of the cost is self inflicted regulatory and delay costs. If you just focus on the install and operation costs they are even a better value. And we keep killing it for non-scientific reasons - for example, there was a lot of promise in TerraPower's next gen but it got killed over the China trade war - so now China is doing it without us - way to go USA.
What ever gen this power plant is, it's a boondoggle.

Best option would be to write the mileage down on the car registration each year and the gov would charge by the mile. Car registration fees aren’t about usage though. At least in MT, they are basically a tax on the value of the vehicle. Makes no sense to me but I just pay the bills.

Best option would be to write the mileage down on the car registration each year and the gov would charge by the mile. Car registration fees aren’t about usage though. At least in MT, they are basically a tax on the value of the vehicle. Makes no sense to me but I just pay the bills.
UT has this option. I can either pay the flat fee or do a mileage based option. The mileage based option is capped at the flat fee amount, so I probably should have done that, but at the time was in a hurry and didn’t really look into it. Bottom line is that I think it’s perfectly reasonable that I pay an extra fee to maintain the roads I use.

A problem that needs to be solved for sure. O&G have floating platforms and have been dealing with storms for decades, so it is probably solvable. Most offshore turbines are used in places without hurricanes, like the North Sea. I think the NW, Seattle, Portland, are looked at as prime locations.

There are a lot of ridiculous things going on. For example, O&G companies investing in carbon recapture. So they have one group taking carbon out of the ground and processing it for use, and another group trying to suck it out of the air and put it back in the ground. Seems crazy to me, but if they can make the $$$ work they will do it.
Carbon capture is worth looking into. Especially for power generation. A carbon catalytic converter for rendering CO2 harmless is also worth looking at.

While I realize that nuclear power is the only source really capable of replacing hydrocarbons, I am leery of giving companies a less self inflicted regulatory environment in which to operate.

I say that based on a long career in an oil refinery. They are similar in regards in that both must manage risks continuously. I saw enough risks taken that did not turn out well to know that left to their own devices, a company will look to save money, where they think they can, when they think they can. When the risk assessment is wrong, in a refinery, you get an explosion and a fire, mostly. In a nuclear plant, there is the risk of releasing radio active elements into the environment.

Three Mile Island is not close to being the only or worst nuclear accident.

So,,, I am trying to get comfortable with using nuclear energy,, it is a work in progress. An old timer who was set to retire when I first started working in the refinery used to say,,,,, if you are going to run trains, you're going to have train wrecks.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back