PEAX Equipment

BHA can now celebrate. Hypocrites

Three different houses? Imagine the landscape if everyone had 3 houses? Well as long as you can own 3 houses and subsist on 75 gigajoules per year, you will be more happy according to this Stanford study.

“Houses” is probably a stretch. The two off-grid places can’t even be accessed 4-5 months out of the year except via something with tracks on it. I’d be happy to sell you one if you think I have too many.

“Houses” is probably a stretch. The two off-grid places can’t even be accessed 4-5 months out of the year except via something with tracks on it. I’d be happy to sell you one if you think I have too many.
An acquaintance from school has a 28,000 sqft place out side of vail. They use it like 3 weeks a year…

I’d bet 70% of the houses in Vail/Aspen/Telluride etc are vacant the majority of the year.

These are places with pools, heated driveways, giant vaulted ceilings, that suck huge amounts of energy and are essentially vacant.

It's still a free country......you can own as many as you want. If you are feeling guilty and want to sell one, where,what, and how much?

What’s interesting is how much more attention you pay to your energy consumption when you have to generate it yourself. I have two places that are 100% off grid with solar (and backup generators). No massive ugly solar farms, just panels on the roof, When I’m there, I use power very differently than when I’m at my other place with normal service. I seldom power up the generators because I don’t like the noise. But I don’t feel like I’m giving anything up.

I’ll submit that we have more of an energy consumption problem than an energy generation and transmission problem, but nobody seems to want to talk about that. We all want our cake.

I think this is entirely true. Not many people will go through the work to see what their consumption looks like and then reduce or move over to renewables to mitigate the climate impact.

We made the decision years ago to de-energize as much as practical. Air travel is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gasses, and not traveling by air for a variety hunting trips, fishing trips, etc while focusing more locally has helped us achieve that. So have turning down the heat, ensuring we have proper insulation and limiting our driving (working from home helps a lot - our average monthly fuel bill is about 1 tank of gas between two vehicles). We compost to reduce waste, and we're down to 1 trash pickup every 2 weeks on average. This all has to be taken into consideration along with the vanity usage of electricity for things like pottery (48 amp, 12KW kiln, climate impact from materials mined, etc.). We even got rid of the microwave in 2013 and haven't gone back.

Looking at going solar this year to complete the off grid move, with probably going to geothermal HVAC in the near future as well.

If we can survive living in luxury in a wall tent for 2 weeks, reducing energy conumption by 30% isn't going to be difficult.

An acquaintance from school has a 28,000 sqft place out side of vail. They use it like 3 weeks a year…

I’d bet 70% of the houses in Vail/Aspen/Telluride etc are vacant the majority of the year.

These are places with pools, heated driveways, giant vaulted ceilings, that suck huge amounts of energy and are essentially vacant.
There are a bunch of those in Bigsky too......built with sustainability and a zero carbon footprint in mind.

Same in Park City. I bought one side of a duplex here in Oct last year. The people who own the other half have been there a total of 5 days in that time. It’s a decimal place smaller than the place you describe, and no heated driveways or pool! 😂 But there are plenty of those around here as well, and it seems many, many more under construction right now.

I split time about 50/50 between UT and WY. Memorial Day to Thanksgiving in WY (off grid) and ski season in UT. It’s the life I’ve chosen and I worked hard to be able to do it. 4 dwellings spread out over a total of 200 acres (one of which is rented to a full time tenant), I don’t think I’m causing a massive negative impact on “the landscape”. Especially when 2 are 100% self-sustained and the other two are multi-family.

Same in Park City. I bought one side of a duplex here in Oct last year. The people who own the other half have been there a total of 5 days in that time. It’s a decimal place smaller than the place you describe, and no heated driveways or pool! 😂 But there are plenty of those around here as well, and it seems many, many more under construction right now.

I split time about 50/50 between UT and WY. Memorial Day to Thanksgiving in WY (off grid) and ski season in UT. It’s the life I’ve chosen and I worked hard to be able to do it. 4 dwellings spread out over a total of 200 acres (one of which is rented to a full time tenant), I don’t think I’m causing a massive negative impact on “the landscape”. Especially when 2 are 100% self-sustained and the other two are multi-family.

I mean, we're all interested in you reducing your personal methane emissions.

@hossblur - this thread is way too boring deep for my attention span, so could you please tell me what groups I should join, support or send money to. I’m currently not a member of any group. What flock(s) should i join to avoid any negative labeling, especially the evil political hypocrite ones..

Or is my $ best spent in the tithe box?

@hossblur - this thread is way too deep for my attention span, so could you please tell me what groups I should join, support or send money to. I’m currently not a member of any group. What flock(s) should i join to avoid any negative labeling, especially the evil political hypocrite ones..

1651244280905.png

@hossblur - this thread is way too boring deep for my attention span, so could you please tell me what groups I should join, support or send money to. I’m currently not a member of any group. What flock(s) should i join to avoid any negative labeling, especially the evil political hypocrite ones..

@Greenhorn

How about the NRA?. They too follow the dear leader "for a seat at the table". They too were fine writing off large swaths of gun owners(Dems and minorities) in pursuit of political purity.

Fun fact there are more private single family owned olympic size pools in eagle county, co than there are public pools.

Back