MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Better coolers

For about the same or less per quart you can get a 12v fridge/freezer. After realizing I don't haul big coolers very far from a plug, that's the way I went. Everybody's needs are different but keeping stuff frozen solid for long road trips is nice.

Strength and durability would be my concern. Have one slip out of your hands onto a sharp rock and will it puncture and lose the seal? If the handle is bending from a simple fall from waist height, I doubt it will last long on a cross country hunt. Great for around the house or on a road trip but I think it has a way to go for a back country hunt.

It's funny, mathematically, a $5 foam cooler from the gas station and ice is way more efficient than a yeti, lifetime, etc.

Let me dig up and old post from an offroad forum if I can find it.

Mind you this was foam cooler and ice daily v rtic at their ice retention v yeti at their ice retention.

SmartSelect_20230706_162744_Chrome.jpg

That being said, I have two lifetime 65s? 55s? Not sure, the middle size. For the $100 they cost, they punch way above their price.

You won't get to be all bro'd out though not having the yeti name.

And don't ask me for the math from then, I've added many more spreadsheets since.

Yeah, I know:
images.jpeg

We have a huge igloo cooler that fit in our raft frame. Then a smaller cooler. The big one got opened once a day when it was cool and transferred the daily meals to the small one. Beverages went in a mesh bag my wife made which floated behind the raft. Pull it in for rapids. That worked fine for 5 day trips, and doubt we had much invested but no way to quantitate in today's prices. Always had ice left at the end. One key is using some block ice, chipping as needed.

I have a Walmart Ozark Trail brand Yeti knockoff that I really like. Other than that, it’s all Coleman extremes for me.

I broke down and spent $120 on a cooler this year. I usually run the $25 Walmart specials. I don't really have an issue with keeping ice though.

Coleman has always done well enough. I've never tried one for days in 90+ degree heat, but I doubt I'll ever need that

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back