Best Years of My Life

AlaskaHunter

I believe the next ten years will be the best 10 years of my life (65 to 75).
When I was young, money was a constraint.
When I was mid-age, time was a constraint.
Now that I'm retired, money, time, and fitness are not major constraints.

It is so nice to hunt and not see anyone because I restricted my hunting this year to weekdays
or remote hunts for 2 weeks away from the crowd and no need to rush back to work.

It is so nice that I have the time needed for twice weekly long endurance hikes and don't have
to start in the predawn darkness like I did when I was working.

My hunting mentor killed his last ram at age 70 and hunted to late 70s.
Down.jpg
I hope with a little luck 65-75 will be my best hunting years.

I hope they really are that and hope to one day follow those steps in about 8 years if things go as planned. I however may end up spending more time on the water as these days that seems more relaxing to me.

Im with ya just a few yrs back 59 we are free of dept fee except the house and it real close told Tam I was going to spend some $ on a few more expensive trips mtn goat n a few others when the house is paid off I will keep working but not as hard and pick an choose the jobs a bit more its gona be a great 10 or 15 yrs

I'm on that ride myself. From ages 38 to 65, I didn't big game hunt. This year's archery elk hunt will be my 7th and I'm loving every minute. Just gotta stay in shape...which is a lot harder now than it was at 38.

I'm on that ride myself. From ages 38 to 65, I didn't big game hunt. This year's archery elk hunt will be my 7th and I'm loving every minute. Just gotta stay in shape...which is a lot harder now than it was at 38.
That is the nice thing about being retired....no excuses to gradually increase endurance and maintain strength...plenty of time.

I believe the next ten years will be the best 10 years of my life (65 to 75).
On the ride now myself. So far so good.
Good luck, don't break a leg!
You're article has inspired me. I'm 65, retiring in june and putting in for tags in New Mexico, Wyoming and Montana. And stay as long as I want. Here's to the journey!

congratulations and best of luck gentlemen

However, dont limit yourself to only 10 years. 75 to 85 were also good years for me and they can be for you . Keep the weight off, exercise intelligently,( maybe a bike instead of jogging ) stay active mentally, not just physically and relgiously get annual and semi annual check ups so as to catch any health issues early.

Plus, I know this is a hunting forum, but if there was something you always wanted to do--travel, learn to play a musical instrument, a new language, whatever you always wanted to do, but have not done so--yet. ;)

I'm impressed I haven't heard anything about injuries. What's your secret for staying healthy while training that continuously?
Sir, only speaking for myself. After 70, I never pushed myself beyond my capabilities both mentally and physically, but, I stayed active both mentally and physically
i.e. trading in the treadmill for a stationary bike or even better riding a bike outside. Not being a "tough guy" so to speak, when I hurt, I went to the doctor to find out why ( not talking about a sore muscle from a bike ride ) and not just knowing, but accepting my limitations as the years rolled by ( the mind was willing but the body----;)) and I always tried to eat well, however my one downfall here was my love for meat--at every meal, and an adult beverage to help with digestion after dinner - (-:

Yup, you said it right there. We've got the time and more importantly, the discipline to gut it out. Good for you!
Exactly

congratulations and best of luck gentlemen

However, dont limit yourself to only 10 years. 75 to 85 were also good years for me and they can be for you . Keep the weight off, exercise intelligently,( maybe a bike instead of jogging ) stay active mentally, not just physically and relgiously get annual and semi annual check ups so as to catch any health issues early.

Plus, I know this is a hunting forum, but if there was something you always wanted to do--travel, learn to play a musical instrument, a new language, whatever you always wanted to do, but have not done so--yet. ;)

Sir, only speaking for myself. After 70, I never pushed myself beyond my capabilities both mentally and physically, but, I stayed active both mentally and physically
i.e. trading in the treadmill for a stationary bike or even better riding a bike outside. Not being a "tough guy" so to speak, when I hurt, I went to the doctor to find out why ( not talking about a sore muscle from a bike ride ) and not just knowing, but accepting my limitations as the years rolled by ( the mind was willing but the body----;)) and I always tried to eat well, however my one downfall here was my love for meat--at every meal, and an adult beverage to help with digestion after dinner - (-:

Exactly
I did not work hard and get through what I have to waste it in a flash. I'm a long term planner. I play the odds and have never gambled on the one outcome, fully.
Some things just take longer or not realistic anymore. Plan B.

Health at my age is relative I guess. I'm doing better than most of my relatives that way. And we're pretty healthy stock. LOL
I'm doing great compared to 6 years ago. Doing better than most ten years younger from what I see.
Still wear the same size pants & shirts as 40 years ago.
The only weight I have put on is needed muscle and I am back up to 180lbs from a low of 175. Normal for the last 40 was 185.

Time to go cut up a couple days worth of firewood in the snow.

Back