Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best Utility Terrain Vehicle for the $?

Sytes

Wife and I are in the market for a Utility Terrain Vehicle.

These are our essential needs:
1. Snow Plow.
2. Garbage transport
3. Camping enjoyment
4. Hunting transport

My wife believes she is not short, others are just to tall... :) She is 5'. We have about a 1/2 mile driveway to our garbage/mail location.

*Bench seats are out of the question. We are not about to spend 12k + for her to sit on the edge of a seat to use the foot pedals.

*We are not interested in a utv with the crappy "Rhino" type "roll cage" simply to have the cage fold if spilled on it's side. Mind you I have broken my neck / quadriplegic on my former ATV and reasonably recovered - so our goal is not to push it's extremes however, we have solidly learned to "prepare for the worst, expect the best" thus roll cage of any worth in not a ad option...

*Reasonable "bed" to transport horse feed, landscape materials, game harvest & 1-2 dogs able to ride with us.

Main target ideas:

http://www.atv.com/specs/polaris/sport-utility/2014/rzr-reg-570/indy-red.html Polaris.

http://www.atv.com/manufacturers/kawasaki/2014-kawasaki-teryx-first-impressions-2220.html Kawasaki.

http://www.atv.com/manufacturers/honda/2014-honda-pioneer-700-unveiled-2179.html Honda.

http://www.atv.com/manufacturers/yamaha/2014-yamaha-viking-700-preview-2187.html Yamaha.

http://www.atv.com/specs/arctic-cat/utility/2014/prowler/500-hdx.html#REVIEWS Artic Cat.

There are others though these seem to be the leaders of our interest.

Anyhow, food for thought?

Last edited:
I have a Kawasaki Mule and it has been good for me. I really like the large, metal box for hauling.

I agree with the Club Car idea. They used to make the Bobcat brand UVs. The Bobcats were fantastic machines. I know a guy that has one with a Kubota diesel in it. It was expensive, but man, what a machine. Unfortunately, they had a falling out and now Bobcat is just another re-badged Polaris. I am not sure who is branding the Club Car now, but I think it may be Case or something.

If cost is an issue, the Mule is probably the best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned. There are lots of good ones out there now, though, and it boils down to what fits you. Look closely at whatever falls into your price range and then make your decision.

On the Polaris you have listed, I don't know about the RZR, but I just bought a ATV on saturday with the 570 engine in it. The little running around I did yesterday in the yard, it impressed me with the power.

Look into the Japenese Mini Trucks. Suzuki Carry, daihatsu hijet, etc. They are have options with A/C, 4wd, closed cab. They haul 1000lbs+, options with dump bed or scissor lift. sides fold down on all three sides. They are alot less $$$ than an traditional UTV. Great farm, hunting, or fun rigs. Get good MPG and easy to maintain.

I have the Rhino, good machine. Take a look at the Club Car 4x4s. John

In the end, we went with the Viking EPS (Yamaha). It is a collection of the Rhino with beefed up cage, larger tilt bed load and 3 seats.

Had an opportunity to take her out on a 4 day hunt w/ two others (Tag soup for the three of us). It was really nice! 3 men, individual seats - really good ride.
Wish the pics were elk/deer though the season is not over.

picture.php

picture.php

Good deal! Glad you like it. I'm very interested in the new Pioneer 4 from Honda. Goes from a 2 to a 4 seater. Would be perfect for my family. Now if I just had the money... :(

Would it not be cheaper to buy an early 90's Toyota pickup 4wd and put bucket seats in it? And that way you actually have a vehicle....with a cab and everything. (that doesn't cost anywhere close to 12k)

A supervisor has a Bronco '69, no rust, all original (less a front bumper mod), 27k miles original. I could have picked it up for around $8,500 (maybe).
We weighed this vs the UTV options.
I would love to have a bronco more than just about anything. It is a pretty darn solid long term low risk "stock" for investment vs a UTV that will inevitably lose value. I've purchased my share of IH Scouts and Scout II's due to the inability to afford a prized Bronco... IH's are great, don't get me wrong though the Bronco... good dreams they make.

Plow, load ~ tow and haul, size, weight, impact to landscaped property, recreation, insurance - leaned UTV.

Example: Recreation - A UTV will comfortably access beaten roads for hunt, fish, etc in a fraction of the time my Dodge (or considered Bronco) would manage... and it alleviates the fear of using the primary travel vehicle for chancing rutted, muddy, snow/iced and tight roads. The UTV can be trailered and accomodates 3 adults reasonably well.
Landscape wise, the weight and load ability place much less wear on our pasture/landscaped property. Simple enough to haul garbage to the end of the road, collect mail and plow snow.

Also, must factor in the Happy wife, happy life aspect.

UTV won. Of the UTV's, we really liked the Polaris Ranger 900 - though mucho dinero!!! John's recomendation of the Rhino series had us take another look and this Viking is the '14 introduction off the Rhino that no longer will continue (or at least for '14). My wife really liked the seat adjustment ability of the Polaris Rzr 570 and the price was very good. Friends really liked the roll cage (paranoid over my potential desire to roll another). The load and bed style was a major dislike. We looked at Good o'le Green John's offerings though they did not rate as well in the reviews. The Viking's three seats was not necessary though for the price, load, weight, cc size, etc - it was the best fit for our use and worked great for the short hunt we did.

Anyhow, enough rambling. That is why we did not go the used truck route.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back