MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best T-Rex Medicine

AvidIndoorsman

So dinosaurs have been discovered on a Tepui in South America, at the center of the earth, or we have developed time traveling to the decade before the comet hit. Whatever the case, there is a huntable population of T-Rex and you are going on a DIY solo backpack hunt.

What are shooting, caliber, bullets, etc. What's you backup... do you have one. Only rule is you have to be able to carry everything on your person until the animals down. Fish, Reptiles, and Game has decided all trophy's will be long lined out with a chopper so you don't have to worry about getting your critter out.

I'm going to take a 26 nosler with a custom barrel with a crazy twist rate like 1:6 so I can shoot some custom 180grn hammers.

As back up and for walking up after I've dropped him I'm taking a .600NE double rifle.

Well, if that .45-70 Marlin was good enough for Owen Grady to take in after an Indominus Rex it would certainly be good enough for me to take after a T-Rex

7.62 x 54 R, because it has a bayonet for mop up.

Shooting FMJ's to penetrate the hide.

Strategy

First shot is to the knee cap or ankle, because a one legged t-rex can't walk.

Second shot is to the other knee cap or ankle, because a no legged t-rex cannot crawl due to stubby arms.

Third shot is to the brain through the eye ball

Fourth - Teh Bayonet is to slit the throat to bleed him out.

So dinosaurs have been discovered on a Tepui in South America, at the center of the earth, or we have developed time traveling to the decade before the comet hit. Whatever the case, there is a huntable population of T-Rex and you are going on a DIY solo backpack hunt.

What are shooting, caliber, bullets, etc. What's you backup... do you have one. Only rule is you have to be able to carry everything on your person until the animals down. Fish, Reptiles, and Game has decided all trophy's will be long lined out with a chopper so you don't have to worry about getting your critter out.

I'm going to take a 26 nosler with a custom barrel with a crazy twist rate like 1:6 so I can shoot some custom 180grn hammers.

As back up and for walking up after I've dropped him I'm taking a .600NE double rifle.

View attachment 111944
This must mean hunting season is getting close . . . or work is slow

Please keep in mind that all of the dangerous game trophy hunters, dino handlers, scientists, ex-commandos, security contractors, & tough guys who threatened a dinosaur with a firearm were eaten. Choose wisely.
Capture.JPG

Considering hide thickness & need for deep penetration, I think anything in the 338 Lapua Class up through the 600 NE would be acceptable. You're more than likely going to be snap shooting a charging animal, so I'd prefer a heavy dose of lead with a wide meplat to try and induce shock as quickly as possible.

So I'd take a double 4 bore loaded up with incendiary rounds.

Wait. Can we shoot lead?

Please keep in mind that all of the dangerous game trophy hunters, dino handlers, scientists, ex-commandos, security contractors, & tough guys who threatened a dinosaur with a firearm were eaten. Choose wisely.

Fair point but with the exception of Roland Tembo in The Lost World: Jurassic Park, did anyone actually try and hunt one, and if you remember he was hosed by a literal green decoy.

Both, and I'm waiting for your response to the OP with baited breath.
See post #3. But since it is the 2 o’clock blahs here in CST I will argue that your choice of a .600NE is a bit overkill.

If Dutch can take out a Predator with basically just a giant knife and a little mud for camo - surely you could take a T-Rex with your . . . wait for it . . . Creedmoor

Shoulder fired rocket. Back-up? I don't need no steenking backup. Chopper out the head. Can get a nice euro mount done.

Back