Best state to take up residency

I'm trying to find where you have pointed out the inaccuracies of that post but alas, kain't find any. I came across at least a dozen semis blown off the black ice on 80 just before Rawlins. Just a mere breeze in Whyomin'

What was inaccurate was you implied just about year round winds. Yes, during the winter months we have high wind warnings with gusts as high as high as 100 MPH and sustained winds around 60 MPH. High wind warnings are issued and trucks and high profile vehicles who choose to ignore those warnings do get blown over. Not denying that happens at all. I almost got blown over in my work van just going to and from the Wyoming Visitor Center south of Cheyenne. You do have to pay attention to high wind warnings during hunting season if you use an RV. There is a valley running between Cheyenne and the Laramie Range that has the most wind I have ever seen during the winter.

I noticed that nobody mentioned the relentless wind in Wyoming. A lot of the people coming to Wyoming for work during the oil/gas boom left within the first year. They couldn't deal with the wind. So strong it blows semis over. It something to consider, usually it's the wives/girlfriends who can't tolerate it. And the winters. Folks come out to Wyoming during the summer and say how great it is haven't experienced the bitter cold, wind and drifting snow that closes roads even interstates down for days at a time. It's sure not all crisp autumn days spent hunting, that's for sure.

They say out there that when the wind stops blowing everyone falls over. A couple weeks ago a friend referred to them as winds from Hell; blew his tomato plants right out of the ground.

I'm trying to find where you have pointed out the inaccuracies of that post but alas, kain't find any. I came across at least a dozen semis blown off the black ice on 80 just before Rawlins. Just a mere breeze in Whyomin'

There's a video of an 18 wheeler getting blown over onto a trooper's car. Lucky for him he wasn't in it at the time.

OOPS

From May through October if we're lucky. Traveling the Snow Chi Minh Trail is an adventure.

Tons better than the 2 tracks we have here. The roads in Wyoming are for the most part smoother than a baby's bottom. My clunky old van ran as good as a new one out there.

Wyoming is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. The Haliburton "boom or bust" projects draw a seedy crowd. The small towns fill up with out of staters who bring violent crime with them. The miners shoot meth to make their shift then shoot heroin to get to sleep. Rock Springs has more heroin users per capita than NYC. If Haliburton shuts down a lease, then the real estate values plummet almost overnight. Jackson hole up to Yellowstone is nice but pricey.

Do you even go outside?

Tons better than the 2 tracks we have here. The roads in Wyoming are for the most part smoother than a baby's bottom. My clunky old van ran as good as a new one out there.

Smoothness isn't the problem most places. Driving 80 MPH sharing a road with morons pulling 30ft campers in 40-60 MPH winds is sketchy enough before you add in the possibility of snow and ice. Drive around town in February when you have to step up onto the road from the curb because only the main drag in town ever gets plowed. We're no.2 in traffic fatalities per capita, and that's only because Mississippi is, well, Mississippi.

Do you even go outside?

Most folks have weekends and 2-4 weeks of vacation a year. The rest of the time you have to live and work in a place. Lots of folks on year just giving their 2 cents on what's it's like to deal with reality during the 80-90% of your time you aren't playing in the woods.

If I was retired or had a 35 hr a week job or had 6 weeks of vacation I would hands down pick AK or WY, if I was a doctor, lawyer, software designer, etc. working truly working 80-90 hours a week I would pick NYC hands down. Just depends on your situation.

My advice to anyone that wants to hunt THE BEST, as in top quality tags, in the best areas, a lot is:

1. Don't move to ANY state based on resident hunting opportunities and settle for some job that only pays you enough to hunt that state. No one state has the "best" hunting.
2. Get a degree in a field that pays obscene "F-you" money.

Do that and live in the place that pays you the top "F-you" salary, no matter where it is. Buy commission tags, Governors tags, hire some hunting consultant firm to handle your applications that the rest of us peons apply for...just because its another try at the best. Pay trespass fees if you have to.

Travel the West at your leisure, hunt the falls for what you want, when you want...all in the best areas.

Trying to scratch out even what I have done in the last 3-4 decades isn't going to be a reality for the average guy anymore. Preference points, bonus points, declining opportunities for some species, high demand for the top quality tags, its all about over for the hunter of average means. Its not going to get better, just the reality of what's going on.

If you're content hunting average units, filling doe and cow tags, and every once in awhile (best case) drawing a decent tag...well, then pick a Western State and welcome to the ant farm.

I was talking to a good friend of mine about this the other day...and I'll steal his line, "A surgeon living in Chicago is going to hunt a lot more, in the best areas, than anyone limited to just applying for tags with the rest of us out West".

True story...

Have you ever been to Wyoming?

Do you stereo-type much?

Yes, I have been to Wyoming, for the last 20 years. I've also traveled all over the place for work and pleasure. Drugs, crime and shitty climates abound everywhere, including NM.

Most folks have weekends and 2-4 weeks of vacation a year. The rest of the time you have to live and work in a place. Lots of folks on year just giving their 2 cents on what's it's like to deal with reality during the 80-90% of your time you aren't playing in the woods.

If I was retired or had a 35 hr a week job or had 6 weeks of vacation I would hands down pick AK or WY, if I was a doctor, lawyer, software designer, etc. working truly working 80-90 hours a week I would pick NYC hands down. Just depends on your situation.
If you are a technical professional, San Diego is an awesome place to be. Sorrento Valley is the tech center there. The hunting is really good and the Big-game fishing is well, awesome does not describe it. Some very unique hunting and fishing opportunities there. Waterfowl, quail, turkey, deer and bear. Some of my best memories: hunting for canada geese on Sony Bono NWR, fly fishing for native Golden Trout, quail hunting at Camp Pendleton. But I have many other hunting and fishing memories from there. The SCI folks in San Diego are some of the finest people you could ever meet!

What about California?! Why hasnt anyone mentioned it? Great hunting opportunities (elk and bighorn tags abound), very low tax rates, friendly locals, uncrowded roads and traditional family values.

Lol. I am from the 805 as well. Unfortunately, the only people who are moving here are illegals. And they send about 90% of their money back home south of the border.

You can “hunt” here every year though. Deer tags are abundant! Just don’t expect to fill more than one a decade......

The buck to doe ratio is about 1:15 to 1:20 in most of the state. But there is virtually no tags issued for does.

Lol. I am from the 805 as well. Unfortunately, the only people who are moving here are illegals. And they send about 90% of their money back home south of the border.

You can “hunt” here every year though. Deer tags are abundant! Just don’t expect to fill more than one a decade......

The buck to doe ratio is about 1:15 to 1:20 in most of the state. But there is virtually no tags issued for does.
+1

Do you stereo-type much?

Yes, I have been to Wyoming, for the last 20 years. I've also traveled all over the place for work and pleasure. Drugs, crime and shitty climates abound everywhere, including NM.
I have chosen to be where I want to be. I have given my priorities and why I made the decision to be where I am. Obviously, the weather was one of my top priorities. The facts are the facts....plain and simple. I will post what I want to post. You don't have to like it. And I will not be discouraged or intimidated from doing so.

"A surgeon VP of Business Development for a Market conglomerate living in Chicago is going to hunt a lot more, in the best areas, than anyone limited to just applying for tags with the rest of us out West".

;) married to an almost doc, it's a long shitty road and I'm unconvinced it will pay out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back