Best rifle for under $2000

I don't want to spend $1000 on something and wish I had put the money out up front to get something I'd like better. I don't know if I have enough years to jack around with that. I'd rather spend $3K for a gun and glass and know it will be the right rig for the rest of my life.

I don't want to spend $1000 on something and wish I had put the money out up front to get something I'd like better. I don't know if I have enough years to jack around with that. I'd rather spend $3K for a gun and glass and know it will be the right rig for the rest of my life.

You are in a good place, with that much money to spend. There are so many good rifles out there, that it is hard to say what is the "best". For you, I think that the caliber is as important as the rifle. You want to have something that you are comfortable shooting, but will do the job on whatever you plan to hunt. If you are not planning on a hunt for big bears, then the choices can be lowered quite a bit. If you are planning on hunting elk and smaller, you do not need a magnum cartridge, but that is your choice, too.

Go to some gun shops and handle a bunch of different rifles. If you have friends that hunt, handle their rifles. With very little experience, you are able to approach your selection with a clean, unbiased slate. The two rifles that you mentioned will serve you well and you can put money into a top-notch scope.

For God sakes don't even consider a short, light, handy rifle!:rolleyes:

If I've got $2000 for a rifle I'm building because then you get exactly what you want

Don't let the haters mess with you. I would usually throw out the idea of custom build but I agree that with limited experience you may not get the"perfect rifle". The one I had done is the most practical rifle I own. It shoots outstanding and has the most expensive scope I own. I tend to leave it at home because I like others better, usually for sentimental reasons. The point is, as others have already said, go look at some rifles at a gun shop or even better a gun show and just figure out what feels right. Then make that choice and use some of your bufget to put a good scope on it. Today most mid priced guns shoot great out of the box. A remington 700, winchester 70, browning x bolt, tikka t3, etc should serve you well when topped with a leupold vx2 or vx3. If you have the money just do the vx3 and get it over with.

For your stated budget, Sako 85 Finnlite....smooth action, great trigger, weather hardy.

yep... The Howa's are pretty sweet too. Both will leave you money for a great Leupold scope. In fact, since Howa is a partner here, if you buy a Howa I will sell you a Leupold with more of a discount to top it off.

Last edited:
Cooper Jackson Excalibur. It's an excalibur with a jackson stock on it. with a 26" tube of course :D

Don't let the haters mess with you. I would usually throw out the idea of custom build but I agree that with limited experience you may not get the"perfect rifle". The one I had done is the most practical rifle I own. It shoots outstanding and has the most expensive scope I own. I tend to leave it at home because I like others better, usually for sentimental reasons. The point is, as others have already said, go look at some rifles at a gun shop or even better a gun show and just figure out what feels right. Then make that choice and use some of your bufget to put a good scope on it. Today most mid priced guns shoot great out of the box. A remington 700, winchester 70, browning x bolt, tikka t3, etc should serve you well when topped with a leupold vx2 or vx3. If you have the money just do the vx3 and get it over with.

I personally think that spending more money on a scope, actually gets you farther than spending an inordinate amount on a rifle. Even the cheaper rifles shoot extremely well, but a junk scope can quit you in the middle of a hunt.

I personally think that spending more money on a scope, actually gets you farther than spending an inordinate amount on a rifle. Even the cheaper rifles shoot extremely well, but a junk scope can quit you in the middle of a hunt.

Agreed, plus if you want to change or upgrade the rifle you keep the scope to go on the next rifle.

I think the howa/leupold combo sounds like a heck of a deal. Just make sure the rifle feels natural to you. If you force it, it will just lead to frustration later.

I've always went by the rule, spend as much on optics as you do the rifle. 2k on a rifle equals 2k on a scope.

The OP wants to spend 2K. To heck with the "budget" rifles. I saw a Cooper 52 XLR the other day for just North of $2000. Course it was chambered in .300 RUM and had a 26 inch barrel. Blasphemy!!! Fantastic rifle at a great price. My point being, the used market is a good place to look also. mtmuley

Last edited:
Another vote for Sako, followed closely by Tikka. I have a T3 now and use it as a backup gun, but have absolutely no qualms in recommending it, it even shoots slightly better than my accurized primary rifle. From years of reading reviews and some first hand experience, I would have to say that Sako puts out the most consistently accurate rifles of any manufacturer. Tikka is also made by Sako.
You could get a T3 or Model 85, a great Vortex or Leupold scope and even have enough left over for some real weatherproofing (Cerakote, Black-T, etc.) and some ammo.

Not a knock on any other rifles, just an observation.

yep... The Howa's are pretty sweet too. Both will leave you money for a great Leupold scope. In fact, since Howa is a partner here, if you buy a Howa I will sell you a Leupold with more of a discount to top it off.

Good advice, take this deal!!!!

With a budget of 2K, the Howa shouldn't enter the conversation. Nor the T3. mtmuley

^^ I've been doing "research" through forums and just handling a couple finnlights. I've finally made my decision I'm going with the finnlight over the Kimber in 7mm-08. I really like the way they feel and the fact they have a 5 shot MOA. Small things but it makes me feel good. For a scope I really like the vortex razor HD LH just torn between 2-10 or 3-15.

I have always liked the way the Weatherbys felt. If i had 2k or a little more to spend, I would give the Mark V a close look especially one of their range Certified versions with the cerakote like the Arroyo . The Sakos seem sweet too

Back