Best place to live in WY MT ID?

R.P.Coltrane

Hey HuntTalkers,

I understand this is probably a topic that doesn't get brought up a lot on the forum, but I am looking to relocate to the western US in the next 3 years, and I would love to hear from some folks "on the ground" to get a bit of first hand perspective. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Idaho. Obviously western hunting is something I want to make a big part of my life, but I recognize there is more to the year that has to be considered. Any opinions or stories would be very greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

What are you looking for in the place that you decide to settle? Is a certain job a priority? Do you have a wife and kids to consider? Tell us more about what you're looking for.

This subject actually comes up on this forum fairly regularly. There are multiple threads along these lines, so you might find useful information by searching through those.

Any of those states can be wonderful or terrible to live in depending on what's important to you.

I've lived in Wyoming and Montana and while I like them both I'd have to say I pref mt. Long generous seasons provide ample time to hunt and spreads hunters out. Wyoming tends to have short seasons in each area which concentrates hunters. Wyoming does have different areas so if you travel you can still extend your season

i love it here in Idaho, I lived in the bitterroots in Montana for a couple of years and I'm pretty sure that's where I will retire. Hamilton area

Well Montana is full...so that's out. I guess between the two, I'd go WY since I think there is more diversity of habitat and oppurtunities there. Also about 20 people live there so shouldn't be too crowded.

But IF you HAVE to move to MT, then I would look at being just outside a major city: Bozeman, Billings, Great Falls, Missoula, Helena, just for the amenities. There are two Montanas: western with all the mountains and eastern that is much flatter and more of it. No sales tax here which means higher taxes elsewhere. Better shot at a Bighorn tag, like 1% vs .01%. I love my state and all the history and diversity we have. There is always a season open to chase something. If I wrote all day, I wouldn't be able to exhaust all that there is to say about Montana.

I'd go WY since I think there is more diversity of habitat

That's interesting, as that's one of the biggest things that's kept me from moving to Wyoming.

In my experience it's the opposite, Montana has a much more diverse landscape. I LOVE hunting in the rainforests of NW Montana, and Wyoming just doesn't offer a wet area like that that has large populations of whitetail and black bear.

Wyoming has amazing high desert and alpine mountains, but Montana has that as well.

Are you retired, independently wealthy, or have the ability to work from home? Or do you need to be within a reasonable distance of a major population center?

I am coming up on retirement soon. I told my wife I want a ranch in Montana, not financially feasible. Still love the idea. Buy a small place in driving distance to Bozeman. I like beer. There are a lot of breweries in Bozeman.

My main concern, I live in the desert. I do not mind 110 degrees days. I hate cold. I am adaptable.

I love the attitude of Montanans. Could I survive?

My other option is the Texas hill country. Not very similar.

Just dreaming.

I may try in a few years!

If you hate cold, then MT and WY should get crossed off your list unless you have a plan to live elsewhere for a portion of November-March. I lived in Bozeman for 30 years and it is a great place but the winters SUCK. I now live in southern Idaho and I love it. That said, I will take 100 degree heat over zero degrees every time. But that is just me.

As others have said, MT cannot be beat for length of hunting seasons and diversity of options.

It sounds like you need to do a few big road trips to canvas all 3 of these states. And try to do the road trips at various times of the year to really experience what living in a place is all about. The Rocky Mountains seem absolutely magical to most folks during the summer and early fall but many folks start singing a different tune in mid-January. I have known many, many people who moved to MT to fulfill their dream, only to move away a few years later because of the winters.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have specific Bozeman or Boise area questions. Lots of good people and info here on the forum that will help you.

Wow you folks work fast! Thanks for the replies!

I'm in my mid thirties with wife and 1.5 kids, currently living in the northern plains working in agriculture. This would be a fresh start, very likely would be working in transportation, wife is an educator. I never minded harsh weather conditions of any kind (within reason of course). My preference would be to live within sight of the mountains but not up in them. The tricky thing is finding an area/city to live in that balances cost of living/services/taxes/opportunities etc without actually living there first. Of course google helps I've been doing research.
Thanks again for the replies, keep em coming!

R.P Coltrane,

I am in the same boat somewhat. I retire from the Air Force summer time frame of 2018. I grew up in North East Montana, where there is a tree and a few houses. The wind blows, steady, all the time.... I know I can go back with the family and live, in moderation. I can hunt, fish, trap, do all the stuff I enjoy. Only there isn't a restaurant for many miles. I mean a legit place. I have lived all over the world and currently in Utah, way to many people, traffic, crime etc!

I have pretty much made up my mind to be around 30 miles or so from Helena, big enough to have the conveniences of a big/major city. Yet small enough it wont take you hours to traverse the city to get home from work. Get to sit back with a view of the lake and mountains. Also it's not to far to be from everything.

What will ultimately drive my decision is when my wife fishes her HR degree, I hope to help her find a job somewhere and get her and the kids moved early to get established, kids in school, so forth. I don't want to retire, and not have an income already coming in. That is my concern.

Hate cold: Um...don't move north.
Diversity: Absolutely better in MT.
Breweries: Everywhere in MT. literally. Highest per capita micrbrews in the nation.
Ranch: there are plenty of small ranches for sale.
Attitude: I will say this: If you come to Montana, come to assimilate into OUR CULTURE. Do not bring yours and try to change ours. You will for sure not be welcomed.

Thank you for all the replies, I'll be sending some DM's, I appreciate the help.

@ Speeddmn - thank you for your service and good luck in retirement.

Southeast Idaho isn't bad...Pocatello and Idaho Falls are at max 3 hrs from Bozeman, and there are great hunting and fishing opportunities in the area, also being a high desert, we get cold and snow, but not to the extent Montana and some places in Wyoming do.

For a family Helena is a great town. Decent schools, good community. Lots of state jobs. Access to a ton of great country. Better cost of living with less congestion than BZN or MSLA. Be prepared for lower wages out here. Its tough on a single person moving here but a great place for families.

I have lived a sheltered NW mt life, it's getting pretty busy and ritzy around here. Given the opp. for change I would go central or north central mt.
Choteau comes to mind.

oz

I grew up in the Ozarks of Missouri. My family moved out here in 1983 I think. I would never go back, even though all of our family is there, and we miss them. When our Dad told us he had three job offers; one in Alaska, one in Montana, and one in Wyoming, I was all for everything but Montana. I had this vision of Montana as being frozen tundra! I don't know why, but I did. That first winter was one of the worst since we've been here. Our car had no block heater, and I remember my Brother and I laying out there below zero, installing that damn heater. Every time you touched metal you froze to it. When the door opened the fog rolled in the door because of the extreme temp difference. We lived in Billings for 15 years and then migrated to Kalispell in '98. Kalispell's climate is surprisingly similar to Missouri's. I was very surprised. I love every part of the year here. To wake up in the morning and look out the window and see mountains all around is what feeds my soul I guess. The diversity from east to west and north to south in this state is mind-boggling. I admit to wanting to keep it to myself, I kind of think that's not going to work out. The biggest thing to get used to was the vast distances. When we go back to Missouri to visit half of the trip is in Monatana! That is an eye opener. I would never move back, and I can't imagine an outdoor type person ever wanting to. Of course there are drawbacks. I have a lower income than I might back east. Property taxes might be a bit higher because there is no sales tax. There is a good sized list, but for me it comes no where close to outweighing the benefits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back