Best place to live in WY MT ID?

Why do you suggest Laramie or Cheyenne over Casper?

Because both are nicer places to live than Casper IMO. I am originally from Casper FWIW. Straight up Cheyenne is a much nicer place to live than Casper and being close to Ft Collins and Denver gives Cheyenne and Laramie a lot of advantages for people who are used to having more options for entertainment. Not to mention job opportunities at the AFB, capitol, university, etc...

The places to stay away from in WY are Gillette and Rawlins. Sidney MT is another place to scratch off.

Each state has areas to stay away from. Sidney Montana is among the worst places in MT. Gillette and Rawlins in WY.

My guess is Boise, Bozeman, or Cheyenne would be worth looking at for the OP. Those are all nice towns with good outlook for jobs and what not. Most of the others in WY are going to be much different either really better for people who already have a lot of money (Jackson, Cody, Sheridan) or just lacking opportunities if you don't want to do manual labor or ride the energy roller coaster.

But if you just want to follow the herd Colorado is hard to beat.

Bumping this back up with some questions. I've gone through a few of the "moving to X" threads and The Warden and I are kind of in a somewhat same/different situation. Same in that we would somewhat move out west but different in that this would be our 3rd home, the others being in MO and FL that we would also "live" in.

I've been to Cheyenne and Laramie a few times and liked them both and logistically either makes sense due to being somewhat close to Denver which would allow us to fly back to MO and/or FL. However the one thing I don't like about them is how flat the land is in a lot of areas. We've been looking at places on 20-50 acres and while I don't have to have mountain views, having at least some rolling hills would be nice.

Because of this we've also look at MT and ID, there is a larger selection of homes/ranchettes/hobby farms mainly due to larger population obviously in both places and the scenery has a little less of that completely flat terrain is seems, but WY offers me a huge benefit similar to what FL does in that there is no state income tax and being self employed with what I've paid the last few years in state taxes it would be a pretty hefty savings for me if I decide to become a resident.

So with that being said can anyone recommend any other places that might not be as flat as Cheyenne or Laramie(or places around there also) but also aren't such a long drive to Denver. I've thought about the SW corner of WY and being able to get to Salt Lake City to fly out of but haven't looked too much into how much air traffic that airport gets, I'm assuming most destinations there are going to have a layover which we where hoping to avoid and is a benefit of Denver.

The flat land with mountain view is much more affordable than being in the foothills in many cases. Did you drive out West of Cheyenne on Happy Jack? That area has a lot of development of ranchettes and gets into some more rugged terrain.

Cheyenne had direct flights to Dallas if that helps with travel. There is also a green rider service from Cheyenne and Laramie to the Denver airport.

One of my favorite places in this part of WY is Saratoga. It's a great little spot and not to far from Denver.

Back