Caribou Gear

Best Out of State Hunts

CubsFan

I initially posted this in the wrong section of the forum and am moving it to here. If there is a moderator that can delete it from "Feathers and Wings" section that would be great.

I'm located in Colorado which has plenty of good hunting opportunities but I like the idea of doing 1 hunt in a different state each year. This year I did pronghorn in WY. I'm looking for good hunt opportunities to put on my radar so I can start formulating an application strategy. I've looked into MT, ID, WY, CO, NV, UT, AZ, and NM but it is hard to keep all the info straight in your head.

Clearly everyone's definition of "best" will differ so here are top criteria for me:

1. Ease of draw (like 3 PP or less)
2. Chance of success (don't care about trophy potential)
3. Cost of tag
4. Experience (subjective but anything that stands out to you as good or unique experience)

Proximity to good fishing is also a big plus for me. Hopefully some other people will find this information useful. Feel free to throw out any other ideas or your personal strategy even if it doesn't match with my criteria. Just looking for some ideas to start investigating.

As asked in the previous post...what species do you want to focus on?...antelope?...mule deer?...elk?...sheep?...caribou?...penguins? Each species may very well likely warrant a different answer so I'll default by suggesting GoHunt.com or similar site for you to research.

If the tag is easy to draw then will be some warts. Low harvest, lots of orange vests on every ridge line, racetrack of ATVs zooming around, few mature animals, nasty terrain, minimal public access, chance of terrible weather during season, wilderness, etc.

Wyoming is a good place to get pronghorn tags each year and there are places with good fishing. That is the one hunt in the West that is easy to draw, has good harvest rates on mature animals, and will have few warts, especially if you build up 3 points.

You can hunt every year for elk and mule deer if write a nice check to folks in NM, CO, NV or UT. Heck can buy a moose tag in UT that way. Most folks do not want or have the ability to do that.

As asked in the previous post...what species do you want to focus on?...antelope?...mule deer?...elk?...sheep?...caribou?...penguins? Each species may very well likely warrant a different answer so I'll default by suggesting GoHunt.com or similar site for you to research.

Any species just looking for interesting ideas, people sharing their experiences that may match what I'm looking for etc. I'm familiar with the research tools such as GoHunt. I was more looking for a human conversation as opposed pouring over the data on a website (which I also do).

Eastern MT Mule deer has #1 and 2 covered.

Probably the only state backwards enough to let you come shoot a buck OTC during the rut with your gun in about 3/4 of the state.

It all seriousness though, you can have a good hunt if you put in the work. You can get a decent dear, but don't expect it to be like the ones you see come from your state.

as an eastern hunter that hasen't been west to hunt, I would say don't discount an eastern hunt for something different.

some people would HATE pennsylvania rifle season, I personally LOVE doing drives during bear season when there are less people out and wish I could stay in PA longer for deer season to do drives for deer.

I believe Virginia has ample licenses and lots of deer too.

Just as i'm drawn to go west for a change of scenery and hunting style, I figure some may enjoy the east for a change up to smaller mountains, different hunting atmosphere, different weather

Utah general deer can be drawn with a couple of points and lots of places to hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back