Best Hunting Town in America

OriginalOscar

What is the best town in America for a hunter to live?

My vote would be Great Falls. Big game and birds galore. Plus the cold keep the riff raff, aka flat landers out. Hence why I don't live in MT

Where would you live if you could live anywhere?

I live in Great Falls and am quite impressed. Coming here knowing nothing three years ago, I've shot multiple deer and antelope each year, countless ducks, and plenty of upland birds. I've yet to really pursue elk, but I know plenty of people at work who do just fine. The city itself may be ugly, but for me it's a paradise. Fortunately I'm able to keep the little lady happy here too.

Yup, I gotta say Great Falls. Grew up in Utah, lived in Idaho, Wa, and huntin' fishin' wise GF has been real good to me. Been here 31 yrs+. I do miss the catfish up on Willard Bay, and down on Utah Lake. The rabbit hunting out by Delta, and the duck jumpin on the Duchesne River around Tabiona.

Last edited:
Depends on what you hunt... Bird and muley hunter, I would say any town in the NE MT. I am pretty happy where I am at but Im not much of an elk hunter either. I like those muleys and prairie grouse though!

There's a reason I'm hoping to get a job at Malmstrom ;)

Just need to the guys that do my job to retire or win the lotto :rolleyes:

Sheridan Wyoming. Gotta be. Tons of local whiteys. You can hunt H or G as a resident for Muleys. World class elk, moose, and fly fishing within an hour. Not far from awesome fishing via the Bighorn(best fly fishing tail water in the world) and tongue river reservior(awesome warm water stuff). Plus as a non resident, you are closer to some of the best mule deer, whitetail, and elk hunting in Montana than most Montanans.

The bird hunting is top shelf too. It's a good lookin town with tons of new schools and decent paid teachers.

At one time I thought Lewistown or Bozeman were the bomb, but Sheridan has them beat IMO.

Last edited:
Lewiston Idaho would be pretty high on the list for me due to the close proximity to steelhead and salmon fishing. Fairly good hunting can still be had but not as good as it once was.

Im surprised no ones said bozeman or missoula I really like those towns a lot and they boast some great hunting and fishing opportunities.

Billings is a fairly ugly town, but I think its about as centrally located as it can get. Awesome muley hunting to the east, good elk hunting to the west, north and south east, great fishing for what ever you'd like on the yellowstone, bighorn, still water and surrounding tributaries. The beartooths are only 40 minutes away etc. A growing economy with jobs as well. Having said that Id probably pick Missoula or Lewiston over Billings.

Great Falls has great kite flying weather too. I could learn to like Lewistown. If we could remove some of the people, the Bitterroot would top my list. mtmuley

I love the Springs for overall outdoor life. Every sort of activity to engage in. Deer, elk, antelope and turkey all in the immediate area and the rest of CO at my door step! Feels like a small town but big enough to have everything you could need or want (Bass Pro should be open in the fall). And big on the list...actual jobs, school and reasonable cost of living to keep a family....Oh yeah, the Pike's Peak view every morning doesn't hurt.

I love the Springs for overall outdoor life. Every sort of activity to engage in. Deer, elk, antelope and turkey all in the immediate area and the rest of CO at my door step! Feels like a small town but big enough to have everything you could need or want (Bass Pro should be open in the fall). And big on the list...actual jobs, school and reasonable cost of living to keep a family....Oh yeah, the Pike's Peak view every morning doesn't hurt.

I do like CO. Plus Broncos, Rockies, and it's not so damn cold.

Would this include North America? A small town in Alberta might be a place I could call hunting paradise!

Dang, I hope all of you are cold intolerant...Lewistown is closed anyway :eek: :D

Not to mention if you're single Central Montana can get really cold in the winter...speaking from experience! :eek:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back